cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Install won’t work

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Fawzy  what do you mean with "...including all of the regedit stuff..."?

I di not know about this. Is there a link you can pass with detailed instructions?

Thanks,

M

New member | Level 2

Same issue.  Dropbox tells me I need to update, but whenever I try to run the update nothing happens.  I've tried rebooting and running it to no avail.  I've tried all the other steps indicated above too, except for uninstalling it.

Sorry, but I am not going to go through a whole uninstall/regedit/re-installation procedure.  I know what to do technically, but I just don't want to go through all that hassle until all other avenues have been covered (i.e. Dropbox solves this on their end)

Dropboxer

Hey there @Peter M.57,

I understand where you're coming from! Fawzy mentioned previously that they were able to run the installer when they had their device in safe mode, have you tried this too? They did mention they tried this after doing the advanced reinstall but it would be worth a try even without doing that.

Let me know if you try this and how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey people - sorry to butt in here (and I know it may sound far fetched) but do any of you have an app called 'Boxifier' installed on the affected devices?

I'm only asking as we had similar reports about this in the past from people running this application (i.e. Boxifier).

In case you have this application installed please navigate to the "Boxifier" settings, un-check the box next to "Block Dropbox updates" and apply this change.

Then, restart your computer and try replicating the issue again. If the issue persists, or you never had "Boxifier" installed on this computer, please let us know so we can continue the investigation.

Thank you  all!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

cannot install dropbox app

New member | Level 2

I needed to reinstall dropbox.  I cannot get either the online or offline installer to work.  I have read through the forum and tried some of the other solutions but none work.  The computer runs windows 10 with updates current.  I have disabled security software during the process.  I am not getting any errors.  I start the install and nothing happens.  I could use some help trouble shooting.

Re: cannot install dropbox app

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @sdallas!

As I wanted to ping you some suggestions from a recent discussion we had with some other users experiencing the same issue as you, I moved your post under this thread.

Could you take a look at my previous comment (to be specific, are you running Boxifier?) and let me know what you find?

Thanks so much in advance!

Walter

New member | Level 2

@walter, Boxifier was the issue.  It was blocking both the online and offline installer.

Dropboxer

Thank you for the update @sdallas - glad to hear we found the culprit after all!

Let's see what the others on this thread have to say.

Enjoy the rest of your day in the meantime!

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

Hello @Walter you were right it was Boxifier the issue in my case.

Exiting the Boxifier app as I did while I was trying to make Dropbox working again was not enough but as soon as I unchecked the "Block Dropbox updates" option the Dropbox installation worked well. Recently Boxifier released a new version and it looks like this option became selected by default. In the past I never had problems between the two apps.

In my case this resolve the issue!

Thanks again for the hint.

New member | Level 2

For me it was a setting in Boxifier that was blocking Dropbox updates.  Thanks everyone.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My desktop app requests to be updated but the installer won't run, any help?
33 Replies
7 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey