cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My public links are no longer working

My public links are no longer working

hypnocoach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

All my public links are suddenly not working. I noticed that the previously copied link URL that I've given to people to access the file had "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" as the first part of the url name. But now when I am copying the link, the first part of the url name is "https://www.dropbox.com"

I assume this is the issue, but why did this change?

I also noticed the selection option in the dropdown menu that appears when I right click on the file in my Public dropbox folder to be able to copy it has changed. It no longer has the dropbox symbol to the left and says "Copy dropbox link" whereas before I believe it said "Share dropbox link." And above that option, there is something with the dropbox symbol next to it that says "Share..." (that wasn't there before) and gives the option of entering an email address to send it to, or copying the link (also with the beginning url as ""https://www.dropbox.com"

Now not only do I have to recopy the URL's for all my active clients' files that they need to get to, but ALL the numerous "permanent files" that I have stored in Dropbox to access as clickable links on my several websites, in blog posts and online articles, in documents that people have downloaded, in my autoresponders are NOT WORKING. There's no way I can find and replace them all. What is going on?!!

49 Replies 49

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Rich: So whereas before it would generate usable links, now it generates a link that you have to paste somewhere, hit several keystrokes to edit and then doesn't even always work? When it does work, it takes more than twice as long every time. And you have to do it individually for every single file.

Hardly the same functionality...

Romout-GL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why you did it? It was so usefull to share some pic., videos, pdf, and other file in such simple way (public link). Why do we need all this dl=0/1 and raw=1 now? Will the public link a commersial option now, or what?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Romout-GL wrote:

Why you did it?

Best guess... It was being abused, and it was never really intended for hosting files on webpages anyway. It was meant for sharing files with other people. If you want to host images on forums, blogs, etc., then you really should be using a web host or an image hosting service.

Will the public link a commersial option now, or what?

Nope. Commercial accounts are losing the feature in September.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If you were a paid user Romout at the time the free users lost the feature you can continue to use it until Sept. after that its no longer available for anybody.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Why do they deem is acceptable to harm the many for the sake of the few? Plus all the linkrot makes me sad 😞

traumadoc2b
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This doesn't address the problem at hand - broken links.  I did get the emails stating that the public folder was "going away" and I do understand how to create a shared link.  

The problem is with links that people, like myself, had already created using the Public folder that are now DEAD.  One of the things that I used to use the Public folder for was an "electronic luggage tag."  I have metal tags on ALL of my bags, and my family's bags, with a printed QR code, with the link to our contact info on a pdf, in the Public folder.  

Now that the folder is no more and the URLs for shared files have changed, all of those luggage tags are USELESS.  I now have to print out and make new tags for each and every bag.  The whole point in using a QR code was that I could change the contact info and update the file on Dropbox - if I moved I would never have to change the physical luggage tags, just the file.  

Don't think that I'll be doing that with a shared link to Dropbox.  I'd rather put the luggage contact info on Google Drive.  I have more faith that Google won't break my link once created.

The simple solution here is for Dropbox to re-direct existing (previous) links to files that were in user's Public folder, so that those links still work.  What are the chances that Dropbox will do the right thing and help people out?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
My honest opinion? They wont redirect to other sites - or they would have offered that already.

I'd also, personally say, once bitten twice shy so maybe think twice about putting them on Google - as they have removed services previously. Maybe put things on your own domain/link for a few bucks a year?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

traumadoc2b - exactly. awful behaviour from Dropbox and many others are in far worse situations I supect 😞

Matthew T.27
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Drinking game: take a shot whenever a super user barges into a thread to offer excuses for this decision

>If you want to host images on forums, blogs, etc., then you really should be using a web host or an image hosting service.

My error for thinking a file hosting service could be used for, ya know, hosting files

Matthew T.27
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Has anyone here had any success with service that move files between cloud services? I'm planning my move away from Dropbox when they kill the public folder for paid users.

I've got a few hundred gigs to move. I suppose I could sync them all to my computer and reupload but it's just a pain.

Need more support?