cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My public links are no longer working

My public links are no longer working

hypnocoach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

All my public links are suddenly not working. I noticed that the previously copied link URL that I've given to people to access the file had "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" as the first part of the url name. But now when I am copying the link, the first part of the url name is "https://www.dropbox.com"

I assume this is the issue, but why did this change?

I also noticed the selection option in the dropdown menu that appears when I right click on the file in my Public dropbox folder to be able to copy it has changed. It no longer has the dropbox symbol to the left and says "Copy dropbox link" whereas before I believe it said "Share dropbox link." And above that option, there is something with the dropbox symbol next to it that says "Share..." (that wasn't there before) and gives the option of entering an email address to send it to, or copying the link (also with the beginning url as ""https://www.dropbox.com"

Now not only do I have to recopy the URL's for all my active clients' files that they need to get to, but ALL the numerous "permanent files" that I have stored in Dropbox to access as clickable links on my several websites, in blog posts and online articles, in documents that people have downloaded, in my autoresponders are NOT WORKING. There's no way I can find and replace them all. What is going on?!!

49 Replies 49

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Matthew T.27 wrote:
My error for thinking a file hosting service could be used for, ya know, hosting files

Your error for thinking Dropbox is a file hosting service. It's a file synchronization service with sharing capabilities. It has never advertised itself as a hosting service.

Take a shot...

Has anyone here had any success with service that move files between cloud services?

I've heard decent things about both Mover.io and MultCloud, but have never used them personally.

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Rich - ridiculous. They advertised a feature promoting it as a way of hotlinking files without any warning that it may be taken away at a moment's notice and without providing any means of converting potentially thousands of broken links strewn across the internet. It would be trivial to find a way to avoid this link rot tragedy yet they don't care.

chatjokey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

dropbox links are dead. and all usefull info for lots of internet users is lost.

as example

the forum threads have thousands of views. and i cant fix.

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.php?s=aabdc6432a20bb2cb3bf982dd199ddcb&p=3820772&postcount=1

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=382961

and i even cant remember all such threads.

Thanx a lot. and bye.

Matthew T.27
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Your error for thinking Dropbox is a file hosting service. It's a file synchronization service with sharing capabilities. It has never advertised itself as a hosting service.

Controversial opinion to hold there buddy, didn't vote for Trump did ya? That one of those so-called "alternative facts"? 

Oh, right, those darned Wikipedians aren't Dropbox. Just the fact it is labelled by virtually everybody is irrelevant Dropbox would never admit they host files now, would th-

FWIW the terms define "stuff" to include "files".  Hosting your "files" = file hosting.

Warning: The above images will go dead when Dropbox decides to kill the public folder. Many such cases! Sad!

No, Mr Trump. It's not a "file syncronisation with sharing" service. Everyone calls it a file hosting service, including an encyclopedia, Dropbox, and an uncountable number of other sources if you care to Google. Which isn't surprising, given it hosts files.

It's a file hosting service.

And on top of that, even if it wasn't a file hosting service (which it is), this argument is still deflection off the key point, vis-a-vis link rot.

olivier w.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why has the public folder functionality permanently stopped for basic Dropbox users ?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@olivier w.1 wrote:

Why has the public folder functionality permanently stopped for basic Dropbox users ?

It's permanently stopping for all users. Basic first (which has already happened) and in September for Plus accounts. It's a deprecated feature, having been replaced by Share Links in October of 2012.

olivier w.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The problem with share links is that you can't simply copy a link and paste/send it via your e-mail. You have to send the link via dropbox window. Right ?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

olivier w.1 wrote:

The problem with share links is that you can't simply copy a link and paste/send it via your e-mail. You have to send the link via dropbox window. Right ?

Quite the opposite in fact. You have to copy the link and send it via your own email client. You can't send a share link through the Dropbox interface. When you invite a specific person to a file (sharing the file, not a link to the file) it will go through Dropbox, but a link is just copied and sent using any method you wish.

olivier w.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I copy/paste a Dropbox link in my e-mail client, and send it to someone who doesn't have Dropbox, the recipient always tells me the link doesn't work. Does the recipient have to be a dropbox user ? Or I don't do it properly ? When I want to send a file, I use right click then 6th option : copy dropbox link, then paste it in my e-mail.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It should work exactly like that Olivier, what error are they getting?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?