Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

No "Edit" icon on Microsoft Office files in Dropbox mobile app

Explorer | Level 3

According to Dropbox support article, I should see an "edit" icon (pencil-and-paper icon) when I open a Microsoft Office document from within the Dropbox Mobile app on my iPad Pro. I don’t see the icon. 

I can open and save Office files stored in Dropbox by opening them from within the Word, Excel, etc. app. I just can’t open them into Word from the Dropbox app. 

Suggestions will I’ll be appreciated. 

5 Replies

Re: No "Edit" icon on Microsoft Office files in Dropbox mobile app

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you create a test Office file and preview it in your mobile app and send us a screenshot of what you see when you tap the file once?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Jay, I’m having problems sending the screen capture. I keep getting "An unexpected error occurred" when I try to attach the file (that's as opposed to an expected error, I suppose? 😊).

I've tried attaching the file in Safari for iPad and in Firefox for Windows, with the same result. 

On Safari for iPad, I click on the Choose File box in my Reply, then maneuver to the photos on my iPad and click on the screenshot file. 

On Firefox for Windows, I drag the file onto the box on the Reply window.

So, two platforms, two different browsers, same result. I guess I need a little guidance on what I’m doing wrong. 

Thanks. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Try adding the file using this button in the post field.

Attach photo.jpg

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

@WeedMonkey wrote:

According to Dropbox support article, I should see an "edit" icon (pencil-and-paper icon) when I open a Microsoft Office document from within the Dropbox Mobile app on my iPad Pro. I don’t see the icon.

Dropbox is rather slow when it comes to updating the documentation, specifically when a visual element has changed but the functionality is the same. The icon you're looking for looks like this now...

76063d53f6223f83d30cc723c56407e9.png

Explorer | Level 3

Well that changes EVERYTHING! Thanks, that solves it. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

No "Edit" icon on Microsoft Office files in Dropbox mobile app
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post