Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

OS X Mojave 10.14.5 won't log in with 2 Factor

New member | Level 2

Brand new iMac Pro, Mojave 10.14.5. Dropbox is the first program I've installed.

When I go to login with the desktop app, it accepts email and password, but when I enter the 2-Factor code, nothing happens. The little progress wheel spins once and goes away. The window stays in place.

My account seems fine, I logged in with Safari on the same machine 1st try and it takes the 2-Factor no problem. I've re-entered my login information multiple times to ensure I typed it correctly.

I gave the App accessibility privilege.

I tried rebooting and reinstalling the App from scratch, including re-downloading the installer.

I tried on different network connections to make sure it wasn't my router (Same problem using my in-home WiFi and my phone hotspot)

When I tried clicking "Submit code" a bunch of times, it gave me the error of too many login tries, so it seems to be talking to the server but not progressing past that point. I waited a couple hours and tried again, still same problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

6 Replies

Re: OS X Mojave 10.14.5 won't log in with 2 Factor

New member | Level 2

I'm able to log in with other accounts that don't use 2-Factor and those seem to work normally. But original problem is still persisting.

New member | Level 2

Exact same issue for me, on a brand new install.

Note that I'm able to login on web with 2FA, so that's not a credential issue.

Dropboxer
Hey @dvor & @Ferllings, thanks to both for your interesting reports! Would you mind disabling & re-enabling two-factor authentication through your account’s Security page on our website once & see if that lets you both then sign in on your desktop? 

Please let me know how this workaround works for you & I’ll make sure to check back with you again soon. Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I had the same problem on Windows 10. However, I was to register a fourth device which is not allowed in the free plan. But the error message for this restriction was not shown to me until I deactivated two-factor authentication. 

New member | Level 2

Thanks very much, this seemed to solve it! For the record it's a paid account so I don't believe device limits apply.

Dropboxer

Great @dvor & @g3rf0xhappy to hear that you got this squared away when you followed the workaround I posted here & thanks a lot for looping back to keep the conversation updated on the progress.

We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Take care until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

OS X Mojave 10.14.5 won't log in with 2 Factor
6 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post