Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

OSX VM install produces mangled Set Up Dropbox window

New member | Level 2

OK, so I'm doing another Dropbox install on an OSX VM.  Previous installs have gone smoothly on both the base machine and another VM hosted on the same machine, both of which were at OSX 10.11.6 at the time.  This new VM is Mojave (10.14.5).

The installer from the website and the offline installer image ( 73.4.118 ) both produce a malformed "Set Up Dropbox" window -- not a completely blank one, but one where the fields are blank or only show up (incorrectly) when moused over:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.34.41 pm.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.36.54 pm.png

If I manage to fumble through this window, the next Set Up Dropbox screen is completely blank.

This is a clean VM, with the firewall still turned off and no antivirus installed.  Dropbox ( also v73.4.118 ) is functioning on the other two machines, so this most likely isn't router firewall settings upstream (unless installation requires some extra access which normal functioning doesn't).  The only obvious difference is that the other machines haven't been running Mojave.

Any ideas?

3 Replies

Re: OSX VM install produces mangled Set Up Dropbox window

Dropboxer

Hey there @jblum2000  - sorry to hear about this.

While I won't be able to indicate whether this would work fully as expected as this is third party software and may have unexpected configurations, I do have some general recommendations that may help. Assuming that you made sure that there's no antivirus, firewall or even a proxy/VPN setting that could be causing this that is.

For Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an Operating System (OS) that is not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop.

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.

I hope this helped to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thanks -- for what it's worth, I can confirm that I've installed Dropbox on this VM using the local account which was created as part of the VM setup, with admin rights.  Because it's the Setup login window that's failing, it hasn't got as far as defining the Dropbox folder.

There's definitely no antivirus, proxy, or firewall settings set on the VM.  The host machine's VPN software is not switched on.  As far as I'm aware, the only firewall that could be affecting it is our router, which has allowed Dropbox installs on the other machines.

As an experiment, I've just tried routing our host machine's net connection through my iPhone's mobile data service, to bypass that router -- no difference.  (This fixed the only similar case I've come across so far in the community -- https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/blank-login-screen-with-new-installed-d... -- but unless I've messed up the settings here, it doesn't seem to work.  I don't think his case was a VM, though.)

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @jblum2000  - most appreciated!

In regards to the matter at hand now, note that the content missing from the setup window is fetched from an online source and when the content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted.

I would recommend verifying that you covered the steps in my previous response, specifically ensuring there is no security software that is blocking the connections and that you have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains within any security software or hardware. This may also include any security software built into your router as you mentioned. 

Users who experience a blank setup box, where the entire center of the box is black, are usually either on a remote session or on a virtual machine. While the above is an important first step, the issue you are experiencing could also be related to an issue with your graphics card or settings.

The following steps may help resolve the issue:

• Ensure the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour
  • Try logging in on the actual machine rather than through a remote session.

Also it's important to check that you are running a version of your operating system that we support. We support most versions of operating systems, though not Windows Server distributions. The full list can be found here: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/system-requirements 

Let me now how this goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

OSX VM install produces mangled Set Up Dropbox window
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post