cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Online-only vs. Local Preferences annoyance

Online-only vs. Local Preferences annoyance

Toontje
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Desktop App V52.4.58 on MacOS 10.12.6

In my Preferences i have Sync, Smart Sync, Start as: set to Online-only. Still, for every folder i create, copy or move into my Dropbox folder i have to manually set Smart-Sync to Online-only. By default it's still set to Local. And setting the folder to Online0only only has effect after the folder is completely synced. This is annoying when folders are big.

Feature? Bug? User error?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No, it wont change anything from offline to online only. Dropbox has a specific set of instructions in place that it wont itself automatically delete anything.

The preferences menu only really works as I said to files added elsewhere (e.g. shares)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I *believe* it is only applied to files when they are added from elsewhere. If you create them on the device itself then it wont turn them Online only.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Toontje - thanks for posting your question in our Forum!

From what you described, I can tell you that this is actually expected behavior.

Backing up what @Mark said here and wanted to also add some more context. When you start using Smart Sync, your current files will not set to online only by default. Only the files added after smart sync had been enabled will present this behavior and they will have to sync completely first ( wait for your desktop app to state "Up to date"). 

Furthermore, the default setting is not necessarily online only by default. The app can start with the local only default but this can easily be adjusted from the preferences as described below: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon from the menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  3. Click Sync.
  4. Change the selection for Smart Sync Default  to your desired option. 

With Smart Sync, you can:

• Choose if individual files or folders are available online-only or locally on your computer
  • Select a default sync setting for new files and folders that are shared with you. 
I hope this information helps clear this up a bit and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Toontje1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walt3r!

"Furthermore, the default setting is not necessarily online only by default. The app can start with the local only default but this can easily be adjusted from the preferences as described below: " 

This is exactly what i am doing. I have the preferences set to Online Only. Doesn't that mean that any file i add to the Dropbox will be uploaded and if not used for a certain amount of time, they will be removed from the disk? If not, then i don't understand what the setting in Preferences is used for.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No, it wont change anything from offline to online only. Dropbox has a specific set of instructions in place that it wont itself automatically delete anything.

The preferences menu only really works as I said to files added elsewhere (e.g. shares)

Need more support?