Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Opening files that are synced

Explorer | Level 3

My folders are synced but when I go to open something now it is making me download it instead of just opening in. Usually when this happens it means I am not logged in, but this time I am logged in and everytime I want to open something, it makes me re-download it. It's not giving me the option to open in Acrobat, finder, or the program it was created in anymore. Please help, thanks! 

11 Replies

Re: Opening files that are synced

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Megansierra), it’s my understanding that you’ve already had a look at the pointers outlined here, am I right in my assumption? If so Megan, then would you mind having an additional look, just so as to make sure that the file you’re trying to open isn’t currently placed in a folder you’ve removed in your Selective Synced settings (i.e. that’s because the Open button will only appear for files already synced with your computer's local Dropbox folder & you can check back on whether this is happening by trying to locate it on your file explorer/Finder).  

From there, if you’re part of a Dropbox Business team, & your team admin has disabled Extensions for your team, you’ll see Open instead of Open with however you can reach out to them directly if you’d like to ask for the feature to be enabled. 

Hopefully my message answers your questions & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Have a lovely rest of your day ahead & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Yes I have followed all the open button suggestions on the link you provided, I have made sure all the folders are synced and they say so in my finder, also I am logged in like normal and have the app running on my computer. Everything looks as it always does and nothing has changed so I am not sure why this is happening. My Admin for our dropbox team has followed your instruactions and we are still having the same problem. Still saying download, not open. Please let me know what we should do from here? Thank you for your time!

Dropboxer

Hey Megan - sorry to hear that (and also for jumping in but I thought I'd give it a shot).

Could you try another browser, an incognito window and/or clearing your browser's cache and let us know if you notice the same behavior? If you do, please forward a screenshot in your next response so we can have a visual of the matter at hand as well.

Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

There is no Open With Button in Excel Files

New member | Level 2

Hello,

as of recently I cannot edit any excel file online.  I did not have any issues until this week when all of a sudden Open With Button disapeared from every excel file I stored online.  I do not have any problems with word files thought. In the past I was able. Please note that I have a personal account, not a business one.  

Re: There is no Open With Button in Excel Files

Dropboxer
Hey there (@ufirst), kindly note I’ve moved your post under this discussion here, as other users are also enquiring about the same behavior. Would you mind having a look at the pointers we’ve posted with Walter above & let me know whether any of them applies in what you’re currently seeing? 

Additionally, if you’ve done any initial troubleshooting on your end, please do keep me updated of the outcome, so as to further advise accordingly. Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & rest assured that I’m here to help as much as possible!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, so I have done everything Suggested and it is still acting as if I am not logged in or have anything synced and that is not the case. I am logged in and everything is synced like it normally is. But I am still getting the download option not the open option Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 9.29.39 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for your prompt response & the screenshot Megan (@Megansierra)! I’ve gathered all the details you’ve included on this discussion & I’ve reached out to you through our Official Support channel on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email if you’d like to work on that with me & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane

Dropboxer
Hi (@Megansierra) & (@ufirst), I’m getting back in touch with both of you, as the relevant team has been investigating the behavior you’ve described us on this thread. 

If anyone else reaches this discussion facing the same issue (& if you’d also like to work on that with me), please feel free to ping me back here & I’ll reach out to you on my end. Thanks for alerting that on the matter & posting your reports on our Forum!

Jane

Re: There is no Open With Button in Excel Files

Dropboxer

Hey again (@Megansierra) & (@ufirst), I'm pinging you back here, as the issue described on this thread with the Open Button has now been fully resolved. If anyone else was experiencing this issue, please restart the Dropbox desktop application (by quitting and re-opening) & the button on the web should go back to normal.

Thanks to both for letting us know of your findings & working on that with us! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Opening files that are synced
11 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey