Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Permission folder gone/changed user on mac and have no access

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I recently spent hours on the phone with mac bc we were trying to change my system user on my new computer (it had an old name from an old computer I inherited over a decade ago). We finally got it worked out, with my new user name.

However, I can now no longer sync the dropbox folder. It's saying there's a permission error, and while I can access items in the new folder, I cannot sync them. I attempted erasing and redownloading dropbox, but it's looking for the former username folder, which is no longer in existence. I also unlinked the computer but it's not working.

What can I do? I'm hoping I don't have to manually sync all the time...

The message I keep getting is attached.Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 6.01.19 PM.png

Thank you,

EJ

5 Replies

Re: Permission folder gone/changed user on mac and have no access

Dropboxer
Hey @erjw, while you can quickly check the steps outlined here to amend this behavior, just in case this persists for you, would you mind getting the full error message, as shown in the text you can see once you click on the blue hyperlink at the bottom of the pop-up window? Please copy and paste the text in your next response here if possible, so as to better determine what's happening. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Jane,

Thank you for checking in. I'm still having the error.

I tried those described steps yesterday and they returned an error in terminal in the first step. So, I restarted the computer and tried again today. No luck. Dropbox is looking for the folder under an old username (annevernonrea) that no longer exists, since with Mac we renamed the username folder to my new one (evajade). (I adopted a computer from this person 2 decades ago, and the username has persisted through two new computers. So we got rid of it, but the dropbox error appeared.)

I also tried doing as suggested with the terminal app and renaming the ~/dropbox portion with the old folder, but as that folder no longer exists, it also returned an error.

Strangely, I logged into my test profile (another admin user on this computer simply for testing) and was able to access my dropbox folder items and it even through the icon back in the menu bar and tried to sync. But that's my test profile, not my real admin profile, so I need to get dropbox off that and onto my main/real profile. I quit the app through the icon and deleted the app, but when I came back to my real user profile, the error occurred again.

Here's the error code:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox

bn.VERSION: 77.4.131

bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed

bn.is_frozen: True

machine_id: b1fd9c20-14f8-588d-9bfe-1f16b9e5bf30

pid: 1424

ppid: 1

uid: 501

user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='evajade', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Eva Jade', pw_dir='/Users/evajade', pw_shell='/bin/tcsh')

effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='evajade', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Eva Jade', pw_dir='/Users/evajade', pw_shell='/bin/tcsh')

euid: 501

gid: 20

egid: 20

group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])

effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None

cwd: '/'

real_path='/'

mode=0o40755          uid=0   gid=0

parent         mode=0o40755          uid=0   gid=0

HOME: '/Users/evajade'

appdata: '/Users/annevernonrea/.dropbox/instance1'

real_path='/Users/annevernonrea/.dropbox/instance1'

not found

parent     not found

dropbox_path: '/Users/annevernonrea/Dropbox'

real_path='/Users/annevernonrea/Dropbox'

not found

parent not found

sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'

real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'

mode=0o100755        uid=501           gid=20

parent           mode=0o40755          uid=501           gid=20

trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'

real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'

not found

parent           not found

tempdir: '/var/folders/g6/vqn7k_fm8xl4gb001s7g_t9h0000gn/T'

real_path='/private/var/folders/g6/vqn7k_fm8xl4gb001s7g_t9h0000gn/T'

mode=0o40700          uid=501           gid=20

parent     mode=0o40755          uid=501           gid=20

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1196, in safe_makedirs

File "os.pyc", line 211, in makedirs

File "os.pyc", line 221, in makedirs

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/annevernonrea'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7215, in main_startup

File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2979, in run

File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1656, in startup_low

File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1223, in safe_makedirs

File "os.pyc", line 221, in makedirs

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/annevernonrea'

Thank you for any help! My dropbox is critical and I need to be able to sync, badly.

-EJ

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me here with the error message @erjw! If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you try the steps relayed here under the “More Information” box to delete the previous settings & see if this helps get the installation through? 

Once you get a chance to get going with that, please keep me updated on the outcome & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

JANE! OMG!

You're amazing! Thank you!!!!! You have (clearly) solved the problem. I am so happy!

I'd like to like this 5,000 times, but it won't let me. So, please know you've made me so much calmer and you're a miracle worker. Phew!

You're awesome. Thank you!!

-EJ

Dropboxer
🤓 Fantastic @erjw, one like is enough & I'm indeed happy to hear that you got this squared away with these steps. Also, thanks a lot for looping back to keep the conversation updated on progress; that's mostly appreciated!

Now that now where you can find us, please feel free to get back in touch here in case you have further any observations or thoughts in the future. Happy Dropboxing & take care until we talk again! 🎈

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Permission folder gone/changed user on mac and have no access
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post