cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!

Please reinstall Dropbox to fix all your syncing icons!

LoveMyslf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has been an issue for a while now. It's an issue on both my Windows 10 devices. I have tried different solutions from this forum, without luck. I'm running version 50.4.71, from the offline installer. Before installing I even deleted all remaining files and folders from my AppData folder, but without results...

Udklip.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

karnerkreativ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey, I'm good now! The problem was the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers as you describe it here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/icon-overlays-not-appearing
I hadn't seen the "dropdown" for Windows when I was first reading that page. Windows must have updated something or whatever Dropbox ended up on rank 16 ...
That's really annoying digging around in the registry. 😞
Anyway, they are back.

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @LoveMyslf, can you please try the following: 

1. Uninstall Dropbox. 

2. Reinstall. In this time, right click the Dropbox installer (.exe or .msi) and choose Run as Administrator. If prompted, click yes or enter password. 

Keep us posted if that works. 

LoveMyslf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No, that did not fix the problem.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey LoveMyslf, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community on this error, let’s have a look into what you’re experiencing together & we’ll take it from there, I hope you’re having a great day so far! 

Just as a point of reference, are you trying to place Dropbox on a different drive by any chance? This can be done by allowing Dropbox to install to its default location during setup. Once you have completed the install you can then attempt to move the Dropbox folder to a different location.

Secondly, I’d like to point you towards third party apps that may be killing the updates in the background (eg. some users have reported that the application "Boxifier" blocks the installation from being carried correctly). To bypass this, could you disable any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try? 

Once you do, please let me know of the outcome in your next post, so that we work on that as closely as possible. Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

LoveMyslf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I uninstalled, restarted my pc, deactivated Windows Defender, ran the offline installer as admin and used the default install location, but the issue has not been resolved. I still get the same message.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate the update here LoveMyslf!

As an additional step, my suggestion would be to wipe all previous permissions & start afresh following the steps outlined here, in order to wipe any traces that may be obstructing the Updater. 

If the issue persists, please do let me know here, so as to check back on your account details in more detail. Thanks again for all your cooperation! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

LoveMyslf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I unlinked and quit Dropbox, I uninstalled, restarted my pc, deactivated Windows Defender, deleted the folders (as told in the guide you posted), ran the offline installer (not as admin) and used the default install location, but the issue has not been resolved. I still get the same message.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for your cooperation LoveMyslf!

I understand that you’d need some additional assistance on this issue & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf, so as to focus on that based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again for posting on the Community & I’m wishing you a fruitful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

mcfc_4heatons
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same issue and also issues with stick on starting or indexing... Also soemtimes when oi try to access preferences dropbox carshes and closes:

I have tried unlinking and then setting up again

clean install as admin with offline installer (sevral times I tried)

selctive sync with just one folder and a few files to keep the sync small

Two months now with no sync

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mcfc_4heatons - sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

As I'd really like to help resolve this, I found your existing ticket on our system and relayed all the details of your problem to the technician that is currently handling it. They'll get back to you via email as soon as they have an update on this matter. 

Thanks for your patience and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    nguenthanh New member | Level 2
    karnerkreativ Helpful | Level 6
    Tavo31 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?