Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Please tell me there's a way to relink my external drive withouth redownloading everything

Explorer | Level 3

For some reason dropbox unlinked from my drive and now wont resync (tells me there's already a file there).

Please tell me I don't have to delete everything then resync again. Please.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.00.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.00.27 AM.png

6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Please tell me there's a way to relink my external drive withouth redownloading everything

Collaborator | Level 9

Hey Braincandy, I haven't had this issue before so others might be able to help you more, but did you disconnect the external drive after you put dropbox on it? Did you already try signing out and back in while your drive is connected? 

You might find the information from this previous question helpful: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Syncing-Dropbox-folder-to-external-hard-drive-...

Issues with external drives: If you’re moving the Dropbox folder to an external drive, the Dropbox folder must be available when your computer boots and before the Dropbox desktop app starts. If the Dropbox desktop app starts before such a drive mounts and gets recognized by your computer, you'll see an error. Dropbox will then give you the opportunity to relink your Dropbox account or exit if it can’t find your Dropbox folder.

• If the external drive is disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running, there's a small—but real—chance that the app will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed.

Re: Please tell me there's a way to relink my external drive withouth redownloading everything

Explorer | Level 3

*EDITED* thank you for responding. how do I sign out?

Ok, I now have it linked back to My Book, but it is saying it's syncing 475000+ files again. It didn't start a new Folder for this so I'm worried and very confused. Is it now overwriting everything on here file by file?

1.pngEdited by moderator

Dropboxer

Hey there @braincandy,

When you connect to an existing Dropbox folder, the app will need to index the files that you have within the folder and cross check them with what is currently available in your account online. If the files are the same then it won't re-sync the whole file again.

Sometimes, the app can show it's "syncing" files when it's actually indexing them, however it will indeed need to sync any changes that have been made in the meantime.

I hope that this clarifies the matter, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Oh, ok. Well thank you so much for getting back to me!

In the dropdown it's saying it's "indexing" 300000 files so I sincerely hope that's what's going on.

Do you know if indexing takes a long time?

Super User II

@braincandy wrote:

Do you know if indexing takes a long time?

Indexing can take a long time, especially if you have a large Dropbox (file size OR file quantity). You have to be patient and just let it work. There's nothing you can do to make it run faster. Restarting Dropbox before it's done may cause it to start over. Just let it work.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Rich. I'll do that.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Please tell me there's a way to relink my external drive withouth redownloading everything
6 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey