Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Previewing .docx files on iPad

Explorer | Level 3

For about 1 in 20 of the .docx files that I try to read in Dropbox on my iPad, I get the following error message: “This file can’t be previewed. To preview this file open it in your computer” 

The file will often have used the same Microsoft word template as other files that can be read, the extension is the normal .docx and the file name has no unusual characters nor is noticeably longer than other file names. This problem started in the last year, and inhave been a frequent Dropbox user for 3 years or more.  Anyone else have a similar issue? 

9 Replies

Re: Previewing .docx files on iPad

Dropboxer
Hey, @Redcoat!

It seems that you have done some initial troubleshooting from your end (awesome work) and so in order to further investigate, we’d have to take this discussion to email. For this reason, I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

No solution as yet

Dropboxer
Hey @Redcoat

I can see from our end that we were in touch with you via email. If you didn’t receive our last reply, could you please check your Spam folder, or navigate to our support system by visiting dropbox.zendesk.com with your email address and view it from there? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

I am getting the same error message on both my iPad and iPhone. The message is only on one of my Word documents. I can preview the others. I really need to be able to see these documents on my iPad.

Dropboxer
Hi there @purple71!

Could you please send us a screenshot of the error message that you’re seeing so as to have a better understanding of your concern?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

I get an error message when I try to attach the screen print.

In the preview pane in the Dropbox app, it says "This file can't be previewed, To view this file, open it on your computer.

Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @purple71

In order to have a better look into this matter with you, I’d kindly recommend moving this to email due to account specific info required. For this reason, you can contact our Support team via email or I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Please let me know how you’d like to proceed and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

A made a copy of the file (the one I couldn't preview) on my desktop, renamed it, and uploaded it to Dropbox. I was getting the same error message (unable to preview). Several hours later, I was able to preview the copied file. I'm not sure why I can view that one, but  still not the original. Anyway, thanks for your prompt response and help. If it happens again, I'll be back.

Dropboxer
No worries, @purple71! Let me know if the issue persists or if you have any other questions. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Previewing .docx files on iPad
9 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post