cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Programmer Arrogance Alive and Well in 2019

New member | Level 2

Dropbox STILL won't let you use removable media. I have a small 35gb HDD but a massive SD card, which will NEVER be removed from my laptop, but yet Dropbox knows best....

This guy sums it up perfectly...

"

Let's call this what it is: Programmer Arrogance

Arrogance in "deciding" that a user will never want to use removable media for their Dropbox storage. I can say this as I'm a programmer too, and recognize taking away a user's rightful choice. Arrogance that a warning would not be sufficient. Yes, if a user does this, they need to realize the drive must always be available when they start their computer. But like others have posted, we live in a different world - 2 in 1 laptops, netbooks, tablets, all sorts of machines that often have limited storage on the "C:" drive if you can even call it that. Mine is an SSD, not really a drive at all.

When I bought this 2-in-1 laptop, it had a 32 GB drive. That is barely enough for Windows 10, which takes (I believe) 21 GB by itself. So I got a 32 GB SD Card and put it in the slot the day I bought it. I will never take it out of the slot. So why, oh why, do you want to deprive me of 32 GB of storage, on this storage-starved machine? Programmer arrogance.

Oh, but you say, I'll lose everything when the SD Card fails. Probably not, it will likely not fail. But even if so, I have Time Machine backups of Dropbox on my Mac, as well as BackBlaze online backups. So no, I am not going to lose anything. My choice! Not the choice of a Dropbox Programmer!

OK, I got this done but it was a huge hassle. I had to use the SUBST command to fake a drive, pointing to the real C: drive as the "fake" "R:" drive. Uninstall Dropbox and delete the Dropbox folder in my user profile. Reinstall and point to the fake drive during the install. Let it sync. Change Dropbox preferences not to start automatically. Shut down Dropbox. Copy the Dropbox folder over to the real destination, an SD card. 

Then remove the SUBST R: drive and SUBST to point the fake drive to the SD Card, drive "D:". So now, instead of R:\Dropbox pointing to the C: drive, it points to the D: drive, the SD Card. Then I had to create a bat script to do the SUBST first, and then fire up Dropbox. I had to make sure the SUBST command ran first, before Dropbox fired up, otherwise I got an error and had to restart it.

So now, after all that, it works as it should. And now I have 10 GB free on the main C: drive. A must because some Windows updates/upgrades are 5 GB in size. I know, I just had one yesterday, which started me on this path.

A huge hassle, all because some programmer made this "decision" for me.

I've been a Dropbox user for many, many years and turned many clients on to it. But this can only be called a:

#dropboxfail"

3 Replies

Re: Programmer Arrogance Alive and Well in 2019

Dropboxer

Hi @Ricky4

We appreciate positive and negative feedback. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Removable disks are not supported, as they could cause a deletion for your Dropbox files and your files safety is a priority for us. The Dropbox folder needs to be "in touch" with your Operating system to read from it and sync as expected. 

Selective Sync and Smart Sync are the syncing features that can help you sync, in case your hard drive cannot fit your files to upload them. Currently,  I have no workaround for you to use an SD card the way you are describing. 

I strongly recommend not to test scripts to change the way the system functions as you might encounter Dropbox deletions and unexpected behavior, we will not be able to explain or fully support. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

@Fiona my safety is MY concern, not Dropbox's. This is a nanny tactic. A warning of the dangers would suffice, with the user then given the option to proceed should they wish to take this risk. You have eliminated this option and tied the users hands, forcing them to seek an alternitive because you think you know better. It's just ridiculous.

Dropboxer

Thank you for your feedback @Ricky4

I understand how important it would be for you to be able to do this. Wish I could be more helpful. 

Hope I see you around in the Community in a topic I could help more with. 
Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Programmer Arrogance Alive and Well in 2019
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post