cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Proprietary daemon and python-gpgme

Proprietary daemon and python-gpgme

boxquestioner
New member | Level 2

Hi, I try to install Dropbox on Linux. When I clicked on the Dropbox icon or visited www.dropbox.com/download, I got a message:

In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon.

Note: python-gpgme is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures.

What shall I do? How to download the properitary daemon and install python-gpgme?

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, what version of Linux are you using? Are you not able to apt-get that module?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

An_Laoch
Explorer | Level 4

This morning I booted my laptop running 

~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 19 Tara
Release:	19
Codename:	tara

I was presented with a dropbox message saying that the package python-pgpme was not installed and Dropbox couldn't work without it. Ubuntu dropped python-pgpme in favour of python-pgp some time back and python-pgpme is no longer available in the repositories.

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, it's on Ubuntu 18.04 using the official .deb-package dropbox:2015.10.28 .

python-gpgme is obsolete, the successor is python-gpg (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-dropbox/+bug/1759984)

This box is shown on every start. The daemon IS installed. One can click "cancel" here - dropbox runs just fine.

Screenshot_20181102_092614.png

It would be nice if it was not shown, though...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Does the ‘Don’t show this again’ checkbox not work? If it doesn’t I’ll forward it to our dev team to investigate this further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

"we will not be able to verify binary signatures" - I am not going to mute a warning about that.

xdunal3306
New member | Level 2

It does appear that a software architect hasnt coded the latest version of Dropbox correctly.  What is the proprietary daemon... surely this should be within the installation if required ( Obtained from the Linux Mint Software Store) and why state you need to have obsolete software??? 

Please update Dropbox source code to include support for python-gpg.  Im not going to ignore a warning box that could compromise any security. 

The Windows & Android versions just run without any of this hassle!

gcvisel
Helpful | Level 5

I am getting the same popup every time I boot up Mint 17.3.  If I click on OK (and check the Don't show this again box,) it hangs the install at about 75%.  (This is with Dropbox installed and running just fine!)  If I just click the checkbox and dismiss the popup, it just comes back on next bootup.  More of a nuisance on bootup that I have to dismiss, so I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this popup.  

jonaseberle
Helpful | Level 6

Any update here?

smartsphere
New member | Level 2

I installed   python-gpg and  Dropbox loads up without the warning

sudo apt-get install python-gpg

Dennnis

Need more support?