cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

QtWebEngineProcess.exe?

Explorer | Level 3

Why is QtWebEngineProcess.exe loaded with Dropbox?

10 Replies

Re: QtWebEngineProcess.exe?

Dropboxer

Hey @FlipFlops2001

Welcome onboard!

Hmmm... I'm not really sure how Dropbox processes and "QtWebEngineProcess.exe" are connected. Would you mind sending in some more details on the case? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

Qt is a suite of tools and frameworks, typically used in the creation of user interfaces. One of those items is a lightweight browser. Dropbox is probably using this process for their new user interface.

Dropboxer

Hey @Rich

Thanks for the additional info! slightly smiling face

You are most probably right, I'll check our internal resources once again and keep the thread updated here. 

Hope you have a great week ahead. 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi JaneA,

QtWebEngineProcess.exe shows up as a sub-process of Dropbox.exe in MS System Internals' Process Explorer. Go to: http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/Dropbox-Process_Explorer-QTWebEngineProcess(2).pdf to see a screen grab.

Thanks!

Explorer | Level 3
Hey speaking of new interfaces, how about a 64-bit version?

Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

any news about it ?

On a test computer, I have 2x QtWebEngineProcess.exe, about 25 MB each + Dropbox.exe 120 MB.

So, nearly 200 MB in memory just for DropBox... Just a drive. I know that memory is not expensive but it looks like a bit heavy...

Dropboxer
Hey @vduvernet, while this is an outdated discussion, I’m wondering what this looks like on your end. Have you tried right-clicking on either process & ending the task by any chance? If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening; please include it in your next message if possible. Thanks in advance!

Jane

Explorer | Level 4

I came across this question while searching for the answer to the same. I'm including before and after ending the processes screenshots below. The greyed out recent and notifications boxes is the only change I've noticed.

Before:

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.24.png

After (1)

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.55.png

After (2)

Screenshot 2019-08-18 22.38.57.png

Dropboxer
👋 Hey again @JGarnettAU, thanks for the screenshots outlining us how this looks like on your end, this has been very helpful; let’s take it from where we’ve left off!

Following-up from your inquiry, it would be worth noting that the QtWebEngineProcess.exe application is a necessary component for the Dropbox software process. It is necessary for some UI components of the Dropbox application, and is necessary in order for the Dropbox application to run. If it is uninstalled the Dropbox application will experience issues and crash.

Multiple instances of QtWebEngineProcess.exe correspond to different UI features within the Dropbox application, so what you’re seeing is expected.

I hope that this is answer you've been looking for, however please let me if you have any additional questions about any of the above on our discussion here. Thanks again & have a wonderful rest of your day!

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

QtWebEngineProcess.exe?
10 Replies
4 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post