Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

R code files corrupted after re-sync

Explorer | Level 3

I have had to sync a large number of folders to my mac (Mojave OS) over the past week (as the PC crashed and died) - However, the R code files are now all corrupted! (They open but there are just line upon line of dots in RStudio and in R itself it's also corrupted ). This is major problem as I a) can't work and b) can't recreate previous work. Downloading from Dropbox online works but it;s not really possible to do this for hundreds of files. Some of these files were used on this computer recently without issues and it's after re-sync the problem has appreared. 

Yesterday there were the same issues with word but it was solved after reinstalling word. Updating R has not solved this issue. I do not know if it is affecting any other files at this point but there were certainly issues with some MP4 files as well yesterday. 

Appreciative of any input that culd potentially solve the issue in a faster way than manual download! 

3 Replies

Re: R code files corrupted after re-sync

Dropboxer

Hey there @Catharina

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! Let's see what we can do here. 

As a first step, could you please confirm for me what your Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it in your system tray or menu bar?

Could you also have a look at your events page and see if there's anything there about any relevant changes that may have happened after or before your computer's crash?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, 

Please pass my reply on to your grand masters (rather than taking it as a personal message to yourself)

I know what the issue is but I cannot find a solution (the current computer has not crashed - so there's been no updates on it). In essence it has forced smart sync onto the system despite it not being installed/enabled. So I in the end enabled smart sync on the computer hoping that would allow a solution, which does not have solution for telling folders to go local when syncing. Which must hands-down be the most stupid software invention since Windows Vista.

Why would I sync folders to my computer if I do not want them to go local? And why is there no option to ensure newly synced folders go local? The only option is for "brand new" folders to go local.  This is fantastic! Because now I know I have files in the folder I want to work in and I can look and I guess admire these files from a safe distance. I cannot actually access them or do anything with them without going online and manually downloading the file - then replacing it in the folder it should already be in. Really, I am thrilled over these extra steps as it ensures that I cannot actually have any breaks (who needs lunch anyway). 

The option of "right" clicking the folder, choosing "smart sync" and then telling it to go local also doesn't work as the "smart sync" option doesn't exist (nor is it under any of the other options). Not to mention that it's completely backwards! If the "online only" option is forced onto us, at least let us choose which folders we want only online instead of the other way around. - and WHY IS THE SOLUTION TO GETTING THIS SORTED NOT OBVIOUS!?!?!?! 

(the "save hard drive space" option is already set to "off" with the option "local" which does not affect newly synced folders only newly created ones). The other option is to opt out of "system extensions" which will disable smart system and "other features". With no explanation of what these other features are? Why is there no option to just diable this function? Or at least we should have been queried before it was forced onto the system. (and no, the folders in question have not been dormant for months at a time - they were used last week albeit on the now broken other computer). 

I have wasted almost two working days in trying to solve this issue or being forced to manually download the files I need putting me massively behind an already pushed work schedule. In terms of work disasters, infuriating issues and insane stress this by far trumps my main work computer completely dying 45 minutes before getting picked up for a flight for a work related defence last week! 

Cheery Monday Regards From China

(where we cannot access/sync Dropbox without a VPN which makes life, so much better when it messes up). 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this, @Catharina

I'd be more than happy to answer your questions, so please bear with me.

Initially, please note that selective sync and Smart Sync are both space-saving features for your hard drive, with a few slight differences:

• Selective sync: removes folders from your desktop app but not from your account. 
  • Smart Sync: reduces the amount of space files take up on your computer by setting thm as online-only. 

Additionally, when you sync folders back from your selective sync settings, those folders will be placed in your Dropbox folder as online-only

Folders that you move from any location on your computer to your Dropbox folder, though, will be local as the information is already stored locally. 

Also, you can check out more details on Smart Sync and other system extensions in this article

Finally, you mention that:

@Catharina wrote:

The option of "right" clicking the folder, choosing "smart sync" and then telling it to go local also doesn't work as the "smart sync" option doesn't exist (nor is it under any of the other options).

If you can't see the Smart Sync option when you right-click on a file, could you please try re-installing the destkop app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

R code files corrupted after re-sync
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post