Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.

Helpful | Level 5

Hey there, Dropbox 68.4.102 user here. I have to reinstall Dropbox due to some reason, and when I signed in, I was surprised to see that my account is now limited to 3 linked devices only.

Please update your help page to reflect this change. I just checked and your help page clearly stated that I can install Dropbox on many PCs.

Screenshot (2).png

95 Replies

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.

Dropboxer

Hey there @LordPillager  - thanks for flagging this; I'll let the team know.

This is a recent implementation (as of March, 2019) and some of our Help Center articles might have not been updated to reflect these changes yet. Therefore, I appreciate your feedback about this as you're helping - not only us, to improve, but other users as well as they might stumble upon the same issue. 

Could you just clarify to which exact Help Center article you were referring to in order to complete my report? 

Note that the relevant article is the following:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/account/computer-limit

As you probably figured out by now, to add a new device, you can unlink some of your current devices. Unlinking a device from your Dropbox account means that Dropbox will no longer sync changes to the files and folders in the Dropbox folder on that computer, tablet or mobile. Basically Dropbox is turned off for that device. Rest assured that no files or folders will be deleted from your Dropbox account.

Once you have two devices or less linked to your Dropbox account, you can then link your new device to your Dropbox account.

Additionally, you can upgrade your account to a plan which allows you to keep all your linked devices. You can see our plan's page for more information: 

https://www.dropbox.com/plans

I hope this information helps to some extent and I'll wait for your next response to form a full report about the Help Center article you mentioned. 

Thanks for your diligence and until we speak again, have a lovely day ahead! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Where was the warning that this was coming Dropbox?

New member | Level 2

all of a sudden this should not be implemented; dropbox should inform us earlier about the changes they are going to implement. 

anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for making the decision to move to another cloud so easy. I have a PC, a laptop, my cell phone and my company PC. If I can't even use your service anymore there are tons of different offerings.

Helpful | Level 5
The article I mentioned had been updated. Thank you.

I have a suggestion, as a free user, I only use Dropbox to sync my excel across multiple phones and devices. Paying $10/month for plus is too much for me, besides, I won't need the extra storage! However, if you add a plan within $12-$25/year for unlimited device sync, I will definitely subscribe.

Have a nice day!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the response and valuable feedback @LordPillager  - I'll make a note of your comments in my internal feedback report.

If there's anything else I can help with in the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know. 

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Adding my voice to the thread here. 

The suggestion from lord pillager is a good one for users with a large number of devices, but I feel 3 devices is too limiting and I suggest simply increasing the base limit to 4 or 5 devices.  I have a Work PC, phone, personal laptop and personal PC, and I only use dropbox to sync a few important files.  I can't afford to have one of them not have access to the files, so as soon as I have to install dropbox again (new phone or computer reformat) this will make me stop using and recommending dropbox.  After all, one of the primary use cases for dropbox (besides data backup) is to effortlessly sync files between devices.  

And for what it's worth, of I'm going to have to pay for a service, I will use google drive because it has a more thorough integration with my devices and google accounts.

Helpful | Level 5

I got the information about the new restriction just this morning in a News Service. Using Dropbox almost from the beginning, recommending the excellent service to a lot of people, I am actually stuck. I know I still may use my existing devices, but any change in my setup will end up in deleting at least 4 devices. 

So: as an Office365 customer, I started the transition of my files and devices to OneDrive today. Lets see, whether it works as flawless as my Dropbox, which will be reduced to a Backup solution for some of my files removing the local sync on almost all of my devices.  

I know, you have to make money, Microsoft is not free as well, but a 1TB goodie that comes with my Office subscription. Two subscriptions - sorry no.

New member | Level 2

Maybe that $12 but $25 is pushing it.  I'd rather wait for a coupon code, Amazon, or Dell deal even if it means waiting until November.

I only need Dropbox to sync one folder of app data which is less than 5mb but it only supports iCloud and Dropbox.  Looks like I'll be investigating a iCloud/rsync solution to get around the three device limit.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.
95 Replies
259 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post