cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remote upload from camera controllers via FTP.

Remote upload from camera controllers via FTP.

altofocus
New member | Level 2

Hi all

I run a company that has multiple cameras on different locations for the construction industry. I need the cameras to be able to upload the images, as they are taken, onto a server, like Dropbox. Then our clients go through our portal and get access to their folder with the images for their projects. 

So in short I need multiple units to upload via FTP to Dropbox. Let’s say 30 cameras that over the day need to upload a maximum of 500mb each. 

What is the best way to do this?

thanks for all help

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @altofocus, if it’s not too much trouble for you, can you elaborate a bit on your current configuration? Have you now set up the transfer via an FTP by any chance & you may also want to sync this content to Dropbox (or use Dropbox, in order to mirror the footage across devices)? To my mind, the best course of action would be setting up the Dropbox desktop application on all devices & save your content there directly

Just so as to focus a bit closer on your inquiry, what would be the ideal end-result if you don’t mind me asking? Please let me know & I’ll do my best to further advise. Thanks in advance for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community; I look forward to hearing back from you here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

altofocus
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane. 

There is no configuration set up yet as no one seems to be able to help us. Basically I have an autonomous camera that can take an image every 5 or 10 minutes and upload to an FTP server. 

I then want, say FileZilla, to retrieve these images from their individual folder on Dropbox and place them on our customers portal page. 

Do you need any more detail?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
I appreciate your speedy reply @altofocus! So, from what I gather from your description, you’re already using FileZilla (or a similar service), which automatically updates the photos it captures to your folder structure locally & you’d like to reflect this content within Dropbox. Now, if you haven’t done so already, it looks like you’d be interested in setting this up, am I on the right track? 

Kindly note that you may be be able to achieve what you have in mind, however the configuration should be arranged within the third-party app, rather than Dropbox & a quick search I ran online brought up some relevant resources that could help you get going with the task at hand. Would you mind having a look whenever you have some spare time?

From there, if I could advise on my end with available features within Dropbox that could be useful in the scenario you’re describing, I’d suggest having a look at our Camera Uploads feature that automatically uploads photos from your mobile device or Camera to Dropbox.

I hope that this is helpful to some extent & I’m always here in case you have any follow-up questions. I’m wishing you a lovely rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II

@altofocus wrote:

So in short I need multiple units to upload via FTP to Dropbox. ... What is the best way to do this?

In short, you can't with Dropbox. There is no way to directly connect to Dropbox using FTP. It's simply not a support protocol.

You can do it if you have a computer that you can leave on all the time. Just Google for "FTP to Dropbox" and you'll find guides. The short version is you'll have a computer with both Dropbox and an FTP server installed, With the FTP server configured to use a folder in the local Dropbox, anything uploaded to the FTP server would be synced by Dropbox. The computer would need to be on and logged in at all times.

Note, however, that this is not a supported use of Dropbox and you may run into issues if both the FTP server and Dropbox try accessing the same files at the same time.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @altofocus, Did You check this: drivehq.com :wink:

Need more support?