Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Removing Web-Based Files

Explorer | Level 4

I am attempting to clean up my Dropbox folder structure, and remove / move certain files to my local Drive so I can deal with them.

After moving an old GDrive sync folder (no longer connected to Google), I received a notification that the files could not be moved off Dropbox because they were web based files and would, therefore, not work.

Frankly, whether they work or not is my issue (and I have other software to deal with that), but I should be able to remove them from Dropbox whenever I want.

My question is, having received this pop-up notification, mid-screen, how do I know where these files are located?

The notification did not say.

I could search for the extension '*.gsheet' but it is not the only old sync folder I've had, or tried to move, recently. So how do I find out which specific files caused the error?

3 Replies

Re: Removing Web-Based Files

Dropboxer

Hey @JGarnettAU, if it’s not too much trouble for you, could you clarify how you’ve stored these files in Dropbox? Have you copied those over by any chance? Would you mind including a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the message you’ve received? Please include it in your next post here if possible, just so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing.

My question is, having received this pop-up notification, mid-screen, how do I know where these files are located?

The notification did not say.

I could search for the extension '*.gsheet' but it is not the only old sync folder I've had, or tried to move, recently. So how do I find out which specific files caused the error?

Following-up from your description however, it looks like the Notification was triggered because of your last action, so it's highly likely that this was caused by the folder you tried to delete. Nonetheless, the screenshot should help me determine the best steps for you, so I'll take it from any visual input you send me in your next message. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane,

I had previously (in 2017) set up a Google Drive account to Sync into my local Dropbox folder. As this was on a previous computer, the Google connection is no longer active.

Currently, I am trying to move - cut/copy + paste, I have tried both - the former Google Drive folder out of Dropbox, onto my local hard drive.

I have yet to try deleting it entirely from Dropbox, as I would prefer to have a copy of it, locally, first.

The notification I receive is included below. It mentions 'web-based files will only work on Dropbox' which is, in itself, as issue - being false.

Jeremy

Screenshot 2019-08-18 20.07.39.png

Dropboxer
Thank you for the screengrab & keeping in touch with me here @JGarnettAU, this has been very helpful! 

Now, from what I gather from your last post, it looks like the error message you’re getting may help you narrow down the results to just the three folders you’re trying to move outside the Dropbox folder. Would it be helpful to you if you tried looking up for the .gsheet/.gdocs on your account online just within the three folders you’re trying to move to your desktop? To my mind, this workaround should make it easier regarding the task at hand. Please let me know in your next message if possible. 

Following, I understand that you’d like to see these files on the diagnostic pop-up message, so I’ll make sure to submit this feedback to the right pair of eyes. As our team is always looking for ways to improve, it’s very useful to hear you'd like to see in the future; positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us better understand your needs. 

Nonetheless, please let me how you get on with my advice & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Removing Web-Based Files
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post