Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Renamed the main dropbox folder, now cannot re-link to same folder

New member | Level 2

Hello. I renamed the main dropbox folder on my desktop. This broke the link with dropbox. I tried renaming the folder back to its original name, but that didnt work. Now I cannot get dropbox to re-link to the folder with all of my dropbox files. Dropbox wants  to create a new folder in the default location. And every time I try to poiont to the old location, it tells me "Error with selected folder True" Please help 

2 Replies

Re: Renamed the main dropbox folder, now cannot re-link to same folder

Super User II

Rename your existing folder to Dropbox.old or similar. Let Dropbox create the new folder and when it starts to sync, exit the Dropbox app. Rename or delete the new folder and rename the original back to Dropbox. Restart the Dropbox app.

And note for future reference that you cannot change the name of the main Dropbox folder.

Re: Renamed the main dropbox folder, now cannot re-link to same folder

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hi @DrumBoneUser,

The only secure way to move your main Dropbox folder is 'Move...' from 'Preferences -> Sync'! In such a way moving/renaming the directory and Dropbox settings change (pointing the new place) are made both together, so application to know where is the new place. winking face

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Renamed the main dropbox folder, now cannot re-link to same folder
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post