cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

Renaming files: windows re-selects entire filename when other files resync

AcerbicMaelin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Found a reproducible annoyance in Windows 10 with Dropbox. I often cycle through a lot of folders using the tab key to rename them one at a time, and this produces an issue where, as soon as the Dropbox app has synced the previous file, Windows highlights all text in the currently-being-edited filename, even if I am tapping through it.

To reproduce:

1. Open a folder containing many files that is currently synced in Dropbox
  2. Click on a file name twice (not doubleclick) to begin renaming it. Rename it however.
  3. Press the Tab key to flick down to the next file in the folder. If the previous filename was still in the 'editing' mode then you will automatically be editing the next filename.
  4. Quickly start using the arrow keys or Home/End to move around in the filename but do not start typing
  5. After a second or two, when the Dropbox App has re-synced the file you previously renamed, Windows will highlight the entire filename that you are currently arrowing-around in - maybe just as you were about to start typing.

I suspect this has something to do with updating the little blue and green file icon overlays.

If you were just about to start inserting some text somewhere in a filename, but hadn't started typing yet, then the fact that the filename has just re-highlighted itself might cause you to overwrite the entire filename instead of inserting the part you were planning.

When doing this with many files this can be a real annoyance. Is a fix possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey @AntennaMan!

Thanks for following up with us!

It looks like this is not a Dropbox specific issue, and it's appearing with other cloud programs as well.

Now, it'd be wise to note, that since this isn't an issue caused by Dropbox or pertaining just to us, we're not able to provide a precise solution.

I'd definitely suggest checking in with Microsoft about this, as well just to make sure you've exhausted all options and to also let them know about this. 

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

89 Replies 89

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @AcerbicMaelin,

The behavior you’re describing does sound strange indeed :thinking: . I’ll make sure to pass this along to our dev team for review. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

In the meantime, any input is most welcome - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joe95
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have the exact same issue, can recreate it using the steps in the original post and get the exact same outcome.

Very annoying considering I rename files en masse regularly.

The only solution I have currently is to pause Dropbox and then unpause it when I'm done renaming, but this is a patch not a fix.

astarothcy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been experiencing this exact issue forever on multiple Windows 10 machines, it is absolutely maddening. Please, please, please fix it, or at least acknowledge that you can reproduce it.

Mark_Jepson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same problem. 

This is the most annoying thing about Dropbox.

I rename files a lot.

Select a file, press F2 to rename, rename file, tab to next file, start typing (but when the resync of the previous file is complete and the dropbox icon updates the filename is reselected in full and you start typing over the filename again wiping what you just did).

This drives me insane!

The "fix" which is not a fix at all, turn off dropbox while renaming files. There has to be a better solution.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, apologies for the delay in getting back to you all here!

Just so I can have a little more info to have a better look into this with you, can you just let me know:

• The version of the desktop app you have installed.
  • The OS version your device is running.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joe95
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for looking into this for us.

This issue has persisted for over 2 years now so I don't think it is just an issue with the current version of Dropbox or Windows, but in case it helps:

• Dropbox - v94.4.384
  • Windows 10 - Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.720)

Thanks,

Joe

astarothcy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same here, I've had this issue forever, multiple Dropbox/Windows versions. Currently running:

Dropbox V.94.4.384

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS build 18363.752

thaladuick
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here

Windows 10 Pro 18362.720

Dropbox v94.4.384

Gus_O_o
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've had this issue for years and always assumed it was a windows 10 issue, but the windows 10 solution to this issue (turn off auto accent colour) has never worked for me. It was only now that I realised that this was specific to dropbox only.

I do a lot of file renaming when working with game assets, sometimes hundreds, or thousands, at a time. A solution would be incredibly appreciated as this is incredibly annoying as it slows down work a lot!

N.B. My current work around is to copy all of my files out of dropbox, do my renaming, then copy them back into dropbox ... which is not at all how I intended to use dropbox, considering that dropboxes strength is that it can (or should be able to) operate is a live and frictionless local production folder.

FYI, I found posts where odrive had similar issues, and has a work around
https://forum.odrive.com/t/windows-file-explorer-annoyance-when-renaming-files-or-folders/2953/6

And there's a similar solution for Google Drive (at bottom of thread)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-keeps-refreshing-while-renaming-files...

And similar with One Drive
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/913522-onedrive-on-windows/suggestions/35362708-bug-explorer-r...

- If you read the comments on these posts, you'll see how much this issue annoys everyone. Definitely worth fixing!

Need more support?