Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Restrict Dropbox high CPU usage on mac: AppTamer does it nicely

Collaborator | Level 9

I wanted to keep Dropbox from frying my laptop, and AppTamer for roughly $15 does the job. I don't want to find out in that respective moment why dx made the fans go high again, I just want to not heat the laptop using my battery power without having to resort to quitting dx (takes a while to get it back going). Maybe dx just wants to be superfast. I prefer cool and somewhat slower.

In AppTamer one can limit CPU usage for each app to x percent of CPU, with a slider, and either slow down (works fine) or stop the app (not necessary) when it wants to go overboard. AppTamer is made by the Omni group (OmniFocus, EasyFind etc.) so it's well made, one could assume. It is also useful for Spotlight and other notorious CPU hogs.

I also tried AppPolice, but there each Dropbox process is listed separately, and for Dx always more than ten processes run simultaneously. 

I thought I'd just make this show up in search results for "why does Dropbox use so much CPU", since I already went through the usual troubleshooting list several times (no I don't have symlinks, I have very few aliases (are aliases symlinks or not?) but they all point to files within my dropbox) but I want to just slow down whatever process is running in that instant. 

Interesting was to find that that app files have symlinks in them. I wanted to use Dropbox to transfer an app to a different computer. I need to transfer the zip, not the app file directly. 

Otherwise, dx is very useful. Thanks for making it. 

4 Replies

Re: Restrict Dropbox high CPU usage on mac: AppTamer does it nicely

Dropboxer

Hey there @g v., I hope you're well today!

Thanks for sharing this info and your experience with us here, I'm sure that this would be useful for those who have the same needs. grinning face with smiling eyes

I'd just like to mention, the desktop app may have issues syncing aliases too as the way they work is similar to symlinks. However, if the actual file is within Dropbox and the alias elsewhere on the computer, this shouldn't cause an issue for you.

Since you've already gone through the troubleshooting listed here, I'd be more than happy to look further into the high CPU usage you're getting through our Support channel with you.

Would you like me to reach out to your email linked with your Community profile? This way, we can have a look into some device specific info too.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Collaborator | Level 9

thanks but I can't. I've done so much troubleshooting. The first step is always quitting dropbox or signing out of it. This takes hours to days to resync. I can't wait hours or days. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @g v.!

For this case, I could have a look from my side and see if there's anything we could try while avoiding those steps if you'd like to.

However, if you don't have the time to do so then no worries! Feel free to let me know if you change your mind.

Thanks again for sharing your findings here on the Community!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thanks for this recommendation, g v. I'm going to do the same. Dropbox is regularly taking 180% (or more) of my 2019 Macbook Pro's CPU usage, and I'm worried it's going to melt my processor (just quit Dropbox when the CPU got to 180°C).

Going to buy AppTamer to restrict its usage.

Dropbox staff, you might want to look into building this into the app's core functionality. This is a relatively new problem for me (past 4-6 months) after using Dropbox for many years being a customer without problems. Am looking into an alternative cloud storage as a result of it.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Restrict Dropbox high CPU usage on mac: AppTamer does it nicely
4 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post