cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Dropbox as Service, without being logged on

Run Dropbox as Service, without being logged on

Skawt
New member | Level 2

I have been scouring the internet for how to setup Dropbox to run on Windows Server 2012 R2 as a service.  I have seen tutorials for 3rd party applications that will start it on boot and allow sync, but I cannot use any additional software in my company environment.

I want Dropbox to be up and syncing 24/7, but this is not possible without physically being logged into the server.

All I am looking to do is run Dropbox at boot as my local account, and login to my Dropbox account to allow sync.  Can someone please assist me with this issue?  

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, the Dropbox desktop application can’t be run as a service on a server, without the assistance of a third party app.

It does need to be run within the computer profile, which needs to be signed in consistently for the files to sync.

I’m sure that there are some other users on the forum that might be able to provide a solution of their own!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

Last I saw, even when installed normally (not as a service), the Dropbox app wasn't running correctly on server-based Windows operating systems. It used to work, but I believe some application dependencies changed which aren't part of the more modern server operating systems, and that broke Dropbox on those systems.

Maybe something has changed since then, but I've been under the impression that Dropbox simply won't run on Server 2012 or newer any longer.

GRS-Vin
Explorer | Level 4

Works fine on my 2012 and 2016 servers.

I have been using "Always-up" by coretechnologies for a number of years to run our Dropbox as a service.

Sam242
Explorer | Level 4

Why doesn't DropBox make a version that can run as a service? I too have managed to hack it to work but why not atually make this an official feature? It would be a brilliant addition.

Rich
Super User II

@Sam242 wrote:

Why doesn't DropBox make a version that can run as a service?

Because Dropbox has never intended for it to be used in that manner. It has always been meant as an application for one individual; not run as a service or be installed on server-based operating systems. Can it be done? Sure, but it's not on Dropbox to provide a built-in option when it's not meant to be run in that manner.

GRS-Vin
Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Always-Up on Server 2008 - 2016 for years without issue. There was a time when DB went from installing in the user profile to installing it in Program Files for all user access and the software did not work as a service but the Always Up team addressed that in hours.

Sam242
Explorer | Level 4

It seems like a well requested feature and would compliment DropBox beautifully. After all why wouldn't a back up service for client machines want to exand into the server market? Seems a real missed opportunity. Can Google Drive or OneDrive run as a service? As soon as they can I - and I am asure others - will move over.

Sam242
Explorer | Level 4

As do I - just would be brilliant if it was 'built-in'. It would gain DropBox more custom and be a really easy way into the server side market.

Jonashan
New member | Level 2

How about running Dropbox on a VM configured as a service? Is that possible?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jonashan New member | Level 2
    Sam242 Explorer | Level 4
    GRS-Vin Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?