Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Running Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3

New member | Level 2

I installed Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3 following these instructions for a headless installation on Linux. I then added the Dropbox daemon to autostart in KDE Plasmas Configure Desktop.

Dropbox does not autostart when booting up the system. When I try to start Dropbox using

dropbox.py start

Dropbox doesn't start. If I try to start the daemon in ~/.dropbox-dist/ it doesn't work either. None of the above procedures returns any errors, there is a lot of output in the console but no errors. I then go back to trying to start using "dropbox.py start" and then it suddenly starts. The output in the console is not different then when it is not working.

Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3 Linux is very instable. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. Autostart never works. What can I do to fix this? I'm using KDE Plasma 5.8.7.

/Micke.

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Running Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3

Super User

@thermopyle wrote:

I installed Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3 following these instructions for a headless installation on Linux. I then added the Dropbox daemon to autostart in KDE Plasmas Configure Desktop.

/Micke.

Hello, @thermopyle...

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers and I'm not experiencing any problems with either of them using the Dropbox Desktop Client (both 32 bit).  I realize that I'm not comparing apples-to-apples as far as Ubuntu/openSUSE, but my suggestion below could possibly help with your situation.

You didn't mention what specific version of the Desktop Client that you installed.  I recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer) vs any beta versions that are available (eg: v37.3.22).  After installing it, please restart your computer.

If the stable build doesn't solve your particular issue then we'll ponder what to try next.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem with Dropbox on Opensuse 42.2. I upgraded dropbox to the newest version and now it segfualts.

dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-OlqOaK
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: running python 2.7.11
dropbox: setting program path '/home/philip/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-41.4.80/dropbox'
dropbox: setting home path '/home/philip/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-41.4.80'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/philip/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-41.4.80:/home/philip/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-41.4.80/python-packages-27.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I am not sure what the problem is. I might try to get an older version of dropbox and see if that will install.

Super User

@prgarnett wrote:

I have the same problem with Dropbox on Opensuse 42.2. I upgraded dropbox to the newest version and now it segfualts.

I am not sure what the problem is. I might try to get an older version of dropbox and see if that will install.

Hello, @prgarnett...

First, I should point out that OpenSUSE is not officially supported by Dropbox so that means you may not be able to get it to work properly (even though it has worked for you).

I'm still using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers and I'm not experiencing any problems with either of them using the Dropbox Desktop Client (both 32 bit using v41.4.80).

You didn't specify... did you download/install from the offline installer?  If not, I recommend that you install the newest STABLE build (offline installer).

Be sure to uninstall your current Desktop Client and then download the stable build from here.  After installing it, please restart your computer.  Please keep in mind that OpenSUSE is not officially supported by Dropbox.

You should post your question in the OpenSUSE Forum, someone more familiar with their operating system may be able to help.

If nothing above solves your problem then we'll consider what to try next.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

Explorer | Level 3

I use the headless install, and have been for years without problems. I do have dropbox working on machines running both Debian and Ubuntu. 

There is very little in the way to go on. I have heard issues around KDE5 and also the Nvidia Drivers. Someone recommended removing libGL.so.1 or replacing it with a link to the system package but neither worked for me. 

Weirdly, I have dropbox running on a different opensuse machine (at work). However, I am not sure if that is running a different version of the Nvidia drivers... I will check and see as that might be useful intel. The machine with the problem is running 384.111.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Running Dropbox on openSUSE Leap 42.3
4 Replies
5 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey