Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

!!!!!STOP OVERWRITING MY ICON OVERLAY CONFIGURATION!!!!!

New member | Level 1

IT IS DISGUSTING TO UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT NITIFYING USERS.

IT IS MORE DISGUSTING TO PUT A SPACE BEFORE ALL YOUR ICON IDENTIFIERS.

IT IS UNBEARABLE TO OVERWRITE THE EXISTING OVERLAY CONFIGURATION.

CANNOT YOU OFFER SOME OPTIONS TO LET USERS DECIDE WHETHER TO UPDATE THE SOFTEARE AND USE OVERLAY ICONS?

7 Replies

Re: !!!!!STOP OVERWRITING MY ICON OVERLAY CONFIGURATION!!!!!

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

What's with all the caps?
Is your keyboard broken?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Nice weather today, isn't it?

It is indeed, 20° slightly overcast, chance of a shower later. slightly smiling face

19° today, gorgeous sunshine and blue sky. slightly smiling face

Helpful | Level 5

While I hate CAPTIALIZATION in posts, I do, to a certain extent, understand in this case, and I certainly do agree with the statements. Indeed, I was about to write a similar post when I saw this one. Well behaved as I am, I'm rather adding to it now instead.

To the point: I am absolutely in the same situation. I love Dropbox as a tool. I have started to hate Dropbox in my worklife.

While Dropbox is not the only software which kills overlay-icons without notice (as do GoogleDrive, Office and some others) it has - at least recently - been the most aggressive and makes using the software on my Work-PC nearly impossible.

As a background: For work-reasons I rely on a software which uses overlay icons. (They are, btw, stored in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\ ) Whenever I start DropBox nowadays, new overlays are added, pushing ones further "down" the list out of use. (There is a very stupid total limit imposed by Windows.) So, in order to get things back to running my current "usage" of Dropbox is:

- Start the Dropbox application (manually)

- Do sync.

- Close Dropbox application

- Use regedit.exe to kill all DropBox overlay entries.

- Restart Winodws.

Every time! It's unaccaptable.

Now, I'm all in for "hacks" and creative solutions, so if you have one, please tell.

So far I:

- Disable all Dropbox related services on startup (msconfig / Services.)

- Disables all Dropbox autostart ( msconfig / startup )

But: The moment you start the Dropbox application, these settings (and the icons?) get set again. Without warning. Without consent. I want to shout (in captial letters).

So, despite the capitalization of the intial post, could somebody - preferably from Dropbox - please comment on this post? Even if there is currenlty no solution (-or is there?-), it would be nice to see the feedback has at least been acknowledged.

For me, this behavier is reason #1 I don't use Dropbox that regularly anymore. And I'm looking for alternatives already.

Helpful | Level 5

With windows there are only 15 entries available for ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers entries.

Most other programs like OneDrive and TFS Power tools only use 5, thus with your greedy use of ten entries something has be omitted.

Why can't the number be reduced?

Each application seems to get into a "bidding" war in trying to make their entries top most, however if no program took more than their fair share, they could all exist harmoniously.

At present Dropbox uses (shown in registry order):-
 DropboxExt1
 DropboxExt10
 DropboxExt2
 DropboxExt3
 DropboxExt4
 DropboxExt5
 DropboxExt6
 DropboxExt7
 DropboxExt8
 DropboxExt9

Currently only the first 5 (1,10,2,3,4) are active on my system, due to OneDrive and TFS, hence I see no DropBox overlay icons.
What do they all mean?

New member | Level 2

I agree completely, Dropbox must stop that ridiculous behaviour. This is the reason I now stop using Dropbox, Onedrive is the only one for me!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

!!!!!STOP OVERWRITING MY ICON OVERLAY CONFIGURATION!!!!!
7 Replies
28 Likes