Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Settings Icon Not Visible On Notifications/Recent Files/Icons DropBox Menu

Level 3

Hi.  Win 10 Pro v. 1903 on a Surface Book i7.

The DropBox icon is visible and fine in the Taskbar.  But DropBox has recently changed the format of the "menu" box that appears when I click on the icon in Taskbar, and now the DropBox Paper icon is just barely visible and the Folder, WebSite and (most critically) the Settings icons aren't visible.  Because of the large wide space between Recent Files tab and Paper icon.  See photo below, Paper icon just barely visible on right hand side.  Have "reloaded" DropBox 74.4.115 but no improvement.  This DropBox feature does work correctly on my Lenova HD All-In-One desktop and my older Samsung laptop.  How do I access Settings now?

thank you, djbbartman

20190609_103244 (4).jpgSettings Icon Not Visible

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Settings Icon Not Visible On Notifications/Recent Files/Icons DropBox Menu

Dropboxer
Hey there @djbbartman, thanks for the screenshot, definitely gives a better visual understanding of what you’re seeing - please note though that I’ve removed personal info included in it for security and privacy purposes. 

As per your concern, could you please clarify what you mean when you mention that you:

@djbbartman wrote:

Have "reloaded" DropBox 74.4.115

Have you tried rebooting your computer or reinstalling the desktop app? Depending on which one you’ve tried, could you try the other option too and see if that does the trick?

Spoiler
Please bear in mind that, in order to reinstall the desktop app, you’ll first have to ensure that you save and quit all programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and then:
  1. Stop the desktop app (if needed):
  1. Uninstall the desktop app (if Dropbox was installed by a Windows admin in Program Files, you’ll need admin permissions to remove it).
  • Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, smiling face with sunglasses.
  • Go to Uninstall a Program.
  • Find Dropbox from the list of programs.
  • Click Uninstall.
  1. When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer to make sure the process is complete.
  2. Download and install the newest version of Dropbox.
Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Hi Lucil,

I "reloaded" Dropbox per a suggestion I found while web searching for a solution to my problem.  There was link explaining how to do that, taking me to the Dropbox location where I downloaded/"reloaded" (that's the terminology used) v. 74.4.115 - but that didn't fix the issue.

One thing I've learned since posting yesterday is that what I called the new "menu box" is actually the Dropbox Desktop App, I've no idea where it came from because I didn't download and install it, so presumably it came along with a recent Dropbox update.

When I "select the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of the screen" it's the Dropbox DT App that appears, so I can't "click on the gear in the notifications panel" - because the gear doesn't show in Dropbox DT App, see picture I posted yesterday.  If per chance you're meaning the Win 10 Notification Panel - Dropbox doesn't show up there.

So that's my problem, the Dropbox DT App isn't displaying correctly so consequently I can't get to the Dropbox gear icon to do anything.  So when you're instructing me to "click on the gear icon in the notifications panel", it's not there, I can't do that to uninstall the the DT App.

So presumably what I should do then, everything else aside, is use Windows program uninstaller to uninstall Dropbox, reboot, and then reinstall the latest version of Dropbox, is that correct?  And hope for the best?  Please confirm.

thank you, djbbartman

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me and for the additional info, @djbbartman.

Yes, you can try reinstalling the desktop app after force quitting it and see if there’s a change in how you see the Notifications/Recent files menu. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

After lots of time on this I have finally figured out that this is happening because the "menu box", or Dropbox App, I'm not sure which it is now because I didn't download and install DA, so maybe Dropbox did or didn't, I don't know - but this is happening now because the Dropbox "menu box" or Dropbox App doesn't scale correctly per my Surface Book settings.  I.e., if I set Win 10/Settings/Display/"Make Everything Bigger" to a scale of 100% or 125% then I can see the the icons for Paper, Folder, Website and Settings (Preferences).  But at any scaled setting greater than 125%, only the Paper icon is partially visible.  So this is a Dropbox issue, Dropbox "menu box"/Dropbox App isn't compatible with Win 10 screen scaling on this Surface Book i7.  Dropbox needs to fix this.  Because my normal-use scale setting is 225%, therefore I have no access to my Dropbox Preferences, EXCEPT by changing screen scaling to 100 or 125%, doing what needs to be in Preferences, then changing screen scaling back to 225%.  At least there is that work-around I've discovered.

thank you, djbbartman

Dropboxer
Thanks for letting me know what worked for you, @djbbartman! I’d be more than happy to pass your feedback along to the dev team. 

If you have any other questions for us, let us know. Have a great weekend ahead!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Settings Icon Not Visible On Notifications/Recent Files/Icons DropBox Menu
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post