Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Shortcut to Dbox folder in OSX Dock?

Level 4
I do not sync files in my Dropbox folder to my Mac, but I'd like to have a shortcut in my Dock to drag images, etc to that will upload them to a specific folder on Dropbox. Can I do that somehow? A "save-from-Safari-to-this-Dropbox-folder" shortcut in my Dock?
Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: Shortcut to Dbox folder in OSX Dock?

Dropboxer

Hey there @dozens - how are you today?

Since you're not using our desktop app (where a shortcut to your Dropbox Folder to add files would be easier), what you could do is create shortcuts to the website directly by navigating to the page you'd like the shortcut to link to and then click and hold on the URL link in the URL bar, then drag the URL down to the right-side of the Dock on your Mac. Release the click and the website URL should be added to the Dock as a shortcut.

Again, you won't be able to add files to the shortcut - this will merely open up a browser session (assuming you're using a trusted device and browser where your credentials are stored) where you'd be able to upload files by drag and dropping them.

I hope this helped to some extent and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Actually I do have it installed, I just don't sync any folders to my computer. I'm trying to be as 'cloud' as possible with my Macbook. Does that change my options?

Dropboxer

So you're using the desktop app and have selectively unsynced your folders from that specific device @dozens? Am I correct?

If that's the case indeed, note that Dropbox automatically adds a shortcut to the "Places" menu in the sidebar in Finder when it is installed, but if you don't have one for whatever reason it is simple to add it back.

To do so, just drag the Dropbox folder itself into the sidebar. The Dropbox folder can be found in your "Home" folder, the folder named after your computer user name. When you drag it in, you should see a blue line with a dot at the beginning indicating where the shortcut will be placed.

Just be careful not to move the Dropbox folder itself (such as to the Desktop, or any other location on your computer) because then the Dropbox software won't know where it is.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Thank you Walter. I understand what you mean and yes I do have said shortcut. The issue is anything I put in that folder is also kept on my hard drive, so there is a copy on my hard drive that is mirrored to my Dropbox account. I am hoping to make it so when I drag to that folder or a shortcut, that the item/file is only saved to Dropbox, not to my hard drive.

Dropboxer

Ah, thanks for clarifying that @dozens - this makes much more sense now. 

The feature you're looking for is called Smart Sync and it's currently offered on our Plus, Professional and Business plans (not on the free, Basic plan). 

More information about it can be found here: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

Let me know if you have any questions!

Walter

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Shortcut to Dbox folder in OSX Dock?
5 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post