cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync & macOS Time Machine

Smart Sync & macOS Time Machine

binbreakdown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have recently installed Dropbox Business for my Team and having issues with macOS Time Machine. I have not been able to backup more then 8gig of 300gigs that need to be backed up. The 300gigs is highly inflated considereding I have not changed that many files since the last backup. This 8gigs is very slow considereding I had it run all night long. This is a make or break issue for Smart Sync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

binbreakdown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

thesus,

I was able to get Time Machine Backing up properly by excluding the dropbox directory.

Not an ideal solution and I hope in the future to be able to backup the dropbox directory with Time Machine as well.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
What exactly is the issue? I'm a tad confused.

I'm pretty sure Time Machine wont be able to back up files that are set to Smart Sync as they dont actually exist on the machine.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

binbreakdown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I do not want the Dropbox Smart Sync files backed up with time machine. I just want Time Machine to be able to complete a back up of the computer. The Smart Sync file type is tripping up Time Machine and not letting a complete backup of the system occur.

thesus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have same problem with Time Machine (OS X Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1036). Time Machine is trying to backup near 300Gb of data, that dont exist on the machine. Backup has not completed since Smart Sync has been enabled. 

binbreakdown
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

thesus,

I was able to get Time Machine Backing up properly by excluding the dropbox directory.

Not an ideal solution and I hope in the future to be able to backup the dropbox directory with Time Machine as well.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @binbreakdown, thanks for telling us about your solution. Not sure that what you’re after will ever be an option, but I’ll let our team know so they’re aware

Cheers!

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    binbreakdown Helpful | Level 6
    thesus New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?