cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

awitzburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can access files on dropbox website, however on all computers utilizing smartsync, every time you try and open a file from the dropbox folder, it says "There was an error opening this doucment. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox and the same issue persisted. Same issue accross all computers in my office. 

54 Replies 54

peterlvilim
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone! Thank you for raising this issue. We believe that we have identified and fixed the root cause.

You can find a new stable build that addresses this issue here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-63-4-107/m-p/317555#M5151

Desktop clients will also be auto-updating to the fixed build.

isk8ss
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

New version of Dropbox fixed the problem! Thanks!

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Kudos:sunglasses: for Dropbox Developers/Programmers for create this updated version.

Tested in 12 computers. Confirmed. This update fixed the issue.

DavidENG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

issuI have installed the new builds and it doesn't seems to be working, issues is still impacting our whole company 

On Windows 10 - 1003 - V 17134.471

Could you please help => i have post this https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Windows-Error-message/m-p/317900#M19962

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It’s possible that your issue is different to this matter. I imagine you’re also referring Windows 10 1803 instead of 1003?

Does marking the files as local help? Does it occur for all files? Can you preview them on the website with no issues? If you quit the Dropbox desktop application, after making them local, does the issue persist?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

@DavidENG wrote:

issuI have installed the new builds and it doesn't seems to be working, issues is still impacting our whole company 

On Windows 10 - 1003 - V 17134.471

Could you please help => i have post this https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Windows-Error-message/m-p/317900#M19962

Windows 1003?. There is no windows 1003.

Windows 1803 means: 03 March, 18 is 2018.

Winddows 1705 means 05 May, 17 is 2017

DavidENG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I meant windows - 1803

any idea how to fix it ? 

DavidENG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Marking files as local is working and it does occured on all files when it is marked on online-only. 

On the website preview is working without any issues. after quitting dropbox desktop and marked them on local before closing the app, it is working 

let me know what we can do to resolve this. 

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

@DavidENG wrote:

Marking files as local is working and it does occured on all files when it is marked on online-only. 

On the website preview is working without any issues. after quitting dropbox desktop and marked them on local before closing the app, it is working 

let me know what we can do to resolve this. 

If you can access the files via Dropbox website, or if you can access the files when you mark the files as LOCAL (not online only) ... then the fix is to download and install this Dropbox version:

Link -> https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-63-4-107/m-p/317555#M5151 

Install, restart and done.

DavidENG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have already installed, restart and run the last builds and it didn't change anything.  

Even installed the office version didn't work either.

Need more support?