cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Daphne, I just noticed that in the General tab of the Preferences, I read "Smart Sync ins't enabled". However, when I click on the "Enable" option, nothing happens.

Stefano

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Daphne, for unknown reasons, NOW it works,

Stefano

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Steciu,

I’m glad to hear the issue has been resolved, great work on the troubleshooting there!

If you see the issue again then feel free to get back to me here.

Hope you have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JWHenderson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello I'm having the same issue with sync icons not showing in the dropbox folder. Also, none of the Dropbox menu items appear when right-clicking on a file or folder. I can't share or manage from the finder.

Everything has been running fine, had icons and menu items and then suddenly poof. I haven't changed anything on the computer or installed anything new.

Macbook Pro 15 running OSX 10.13.6

Dropbox version 76.4.126

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @JWHenderson,

Can you let me know the current sync status of your desktop app? If you’re not seeing any options from the Command+click menu related to Dropbox then it might suggest that the app isn’t running on your device.

If the app is showing it is “Up to date” and you’re still not seeing the sync icons or menu options, then click the Dropbox icon on your menu bar, click the profile pic/initials in the top right of the window and choose to “Exit Dropbox”.

Then please open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder and force quit all remaining Dropbox instances. Once this is done, please click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen and force quit the Finder. Finally, restart the Dropbox desktop app from your Applications menu and once the app is showing "Up to date", check to see if the issue persists

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JWHenderson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your response. I've tried your suggested solution and it did not solve the problem. My current sync status is there is nothing being uploaded or downloaded at the moment. I see all the folders and files in finder, but none of the dropbox related items exist.. No sync status, no right-click options. It just appears as a normal folder like any other.

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I see the same things happening as JWHenderson describes. So far, no good.

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Actually, again, after having restarted the Finder and Dropbox, I had to go to the preferences again to actvate the smart sync option. So, why does it keep changing without my input?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you check your desktop app preferences to see if smart sync is still enabled as Steciu mentioned? You can do so by clicking the Dropbox icon, clicking the profile pic/initials in the top right, choosing Preferences… and then on the General tab ensuring smart sync is enabled.

Otherwise, can you please send me a screenshot of your sync status so that I have a better understanding as to what you’re referring to? You can see this by clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. Also, can you let me know if you can see the sync icons for your files in your Finder window? 

Finally, @Steciu would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this further? 

Let me know - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

JWHenderson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Daphne Here's a link to the screen shot since the photo upload here doesn't seem to work for me.

As  you can see the sync status is up to date. I have no option in the Preferences General tab for Smart Sync. Also, the sync status icons are not showing. When I right-click a file or folder in the dropbox folder in finder I have none of the Dropbox options there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvzv0qc8ux9jc87/Screen%20Shot%202019-07-15%20at%202.22.36%20PM.png?dl=0

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?