Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Some file will not open in the downloaded dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Many files in our Dropbox, after been moved from on folder to another, will not open in the downloaded version of Dropbox. OK on the on-line version.

5 Replies

Re: Some file will not open in the downloaded dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, are the files visible in your Dropbox folder, or are they not syncing from the Dropbox site?

Could you let me know more about the exact error message you’re getting on your device?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Files show up in the downloaded version, but they just don’t open.
No error messages.
The blue circle shows for a few second – and then nothing.
One folder for example, have 6 files- pdf and word – only one pdf open.
Size does not seem to matter.
We have several hundred folders, each with many files in them, which was moved from active section of Dropbox to compleeted section.
Everything functions OK on the online version.

Dropboxer
Hey there @KViking,

Additional to what @Jay mentioned, could you also check if there are any incompatible characters by running a bad files check?

Furthermore, could you clarify if you’re not seeing any syncing icons on the files in question and send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon shows when you click on it?

Thanks!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

To recap the specific:
Our Dropbox have 2 main shared folders:
A-(Open projects)
B-(Archived Projects)

The Dropbox size is 200+GB
I believe we have 60,000 + files, most of these are in the “Archived project” folder.
The problem apparently started when we for 4-5 month ago split up the files, so we had 2 main folders instead of having the “Archived Projects” in between the “Open Projects”.
We do not access the archived folders that often, so in the beginning when we run into this, we thought it was an isolated case. But it soon become clear it was wide-spread problem.

The split was done on the on-line version.

This is the Problem:
(Problem is only in one of 2 main folders)

When we try to open a pdf file, sometimes it just stops, other times we get an error says the file ca not be found. But the file is there and appears to be the correct size.

When I try to open a Word file, the Word open window come up and then, is just shut off.

In any particular folder, 1 or 2 out of maybe 10 open correctly.

We are talking of many thousands of files, but they all seem to be OK on the on-line Dropbox.
(Of cause, I only tried a fraction of them)

No synchronizing error is shown – no Synchronizing in progress indication and the current “Open projects” synchronizing correctly.

We have 3 members of the team, each with a copy of the downloaded Dropbox on their desktop.
Using on-line version on their laptops, tablets and phones.

If nobody can give me a better idea, I think the solution is that we uninstall Dropbox on all 3 desktop computers and then reinstall.
But that is 6-7 hours for each computer, therefore has been reluctant to do that.

Please comment.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed post, @KViking

At first, it sounds like the files you’re trying to open haven’t fully synced, or in other words, downloaded locally.

For this reason, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it? You can attach an image with one of the following options:
Attach image.png

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Some file will not open in the downloaded dropbox
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post