cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Dropbox desktop app automatically importing photos from memory card

Stop Dropbox desktop app automatically importing photos from memory card

Fredfordguy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I am new to the Dropbox way of life and have a question.  When I plug in the memory card from my camera, the Dropbox page comes up to download my photos.  I would like to disable this feature and return to the way things were set up before downloading Dropbox.  Before then, my tool was the Microsoft editor.  Thanks for any help you can offer...Mike in NH

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @Fredfordguy, you should be able to do that from Dropbox preferences. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menubar. Then click the gear icon, and select preferences. Go to Import tab, and unceck Enable Photo Uplods for...

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.54.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.53.21 PM.png

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

You can disable Camera Uploads by following https://www.dropbox.com/help/photos-videos/camera-uploads-overview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi @Fredfordguy, you should be able to do that from Dropbox preferences. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menubar. Then click the gear icon, and select preferences. Go to Import tab, and unceck Enable Photo Uplods for...

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.54.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 8.53.21 PM.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

You can disable Camera Uploads by following https://www.dropbox.com/help/photos-videos/camera-uploads-overview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mythslayer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That check box is not showing on my preferences/import page as others hav reported. I have two options Photos Only and Photos and Videos. Using v57.4.89

I have another program I use for downloading my images to my PC.

I have all options in Autoplay but downloading photos set to do nothing but photos and it is set to my program I want to use.

I get the pop up box every time I put in a blank USB drive, and it adds a file to it .dropbox.device. I do not want that to happen at all.

It seems my only option is to remove Dropbox from my system until you guys figure this out.

gellow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That check box is not showing on my preferences/import page as others hav reported. I have two options Photos Only and Photos and Videos. Using v57.4.89

I have another program I use for downloading my images to my PC.

I have all options in Autoplay but downloading photos set to do nothing but photos and it is set to my program I want to use.

I get the pop up box every time I put in a blank USB drive, and it adds a file to it .dropbox.device. I do not want that to happen at all.

It seems my only option is to remove Dropbox from my system until you guys figure this out.

Mythslayer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
That is exactly the situation I have as well. My work around was to disable (as in does not startup automatically) Dropbox when starting my computer.
I restart it when I have made changes to the files so it syncs. I then shut it off.
Renning windows 10.
Also will be looking for an alt to Dropbox since they have severely hobbled the ability to sync to only 3 devices.

onetrack
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop and a Galaxy Note 4 smartphone, and there is no Dropbox control panel as shown above in the graphics.

If I tap or click on the Dropbox icon, it merely produces a list of folders. I have no control over Dropbox download default settings. This app is worse than useless.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @onetrack,

It sounds like you might be clicking on a shortcut to the Dropbox folder. You should be seeing a Dropbox icon in your system tray, in the bottom right corner of your screen near the clock. If you see an upward pointing arrow, you may need to click this to expand the system tray and see the Dropbox icon.

Let me know if this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

onetrack
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne - Yes, my mistake, I was clicking on the Dropbox Folders icon on the LH Windows menu, and not realising that the Dropbox control panel icon is within the hidden icons on my toolbar/system tray.

Once I realised I was making that mistake, I clicked on the hidden icons button, found the Dropbox icon, clicked on that, and sorted the download settings.

What I actually wanted was the Windows download options pop-up menu, that appears with some programs, and not with others.

Dropbox was starting automatically as soon as I connected the cable, and I could find no way to stop it.

Formerly, this download options pop-up menu was appearing when I connected my smartphone to my desktop, but it appears a Windows or Dropbox update may have altered my download options settings.

Once I found the right area in Dropbox, it opened the relevant section of the Windows 7 Control Panel, where there are multiple download options available, that you can set for each program. 

The default download setting apparently varies with each program, as I found numerous programs had different download option settings.

I set every program, including Dropbox, to start with the Download options pop-up menu, and this is very satisfying to me, because it gives me multiple choices as to what I want to do, when I connect my smartphone to my desktop for downloading - rather than have Dropbox immediately start downloading everything in my phone, when I don't want it to - I usually only want to select a few photos for download!

Thanks again for your assistance. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @onetrack,

Thanks for your detailed response!

I'm glad to hear that you sorted out the issue too, I'm sure this will be helpful to others reading through this thread so your update is much appreciated. :grin: 

I'm always here if you have any other questions, have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    onetrack New member | Level 2
    Mythslayer New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?