cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop renaming my files! (on auto phone upload)

Stop renaming my files! (on auto phone upload)

BoxyBeat
Helpful | Level 5

Video files ( possibly photos too ) get renamed on automatic upload from the phone to Dropbox.

There must be a really good reason for Dropbox to rename files and I'd like to hear it.
It's very annoying because the file names are perfectly fine the way they are and so I can keep track easier for missing files, innterrupted transfers, moved files and so on.

It's a mess with video files especially becuase:

- Phone writes the video file with date time at the start of the video ( that's what it should be )
- Drobox renames the file with date time when the file was closed ( finished recording ).

So, can we please not mess with my video files names ?

Thanks !

video, file, rename, date, time, metadata, offset, unnecessary

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @BoxyBeat, This seems very interesting indeed! :thinking:

I tried replicating this on my side and here are my findings.

With videos taken on an Android device, the file is automatically named with the date and time at the start of the video, as you mentioned.

However, when checking the details of the file (from the "..." in the top right when viewing in the gallery), the timestamp recorded there shows the end time of the video.

With automatic camera uploads the app names the file according to the timestamp on the file. This fits with the behaviour you described above.

When I tried this by manually uploading the video, it retained the name of the file rather than uploading according to the timestamp on the video.

Can you let me know if the same differences in file name and timestamp in the video details from your Gallery? Would you mind sharing too which OS version your device is?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BoxyBeat
Helpful | Level 5

Test Video File , approx 10sec long.
On my phone, details from "Gallery"
20 01 23 12:08 am
Filename is 20200123_000803.mp4
I think it's safe to assume it's HH MM SS there at the end.

2. Opened Dropbox on my phone and I've let it do it's thing.

3. This is the file name I have on my computer, Dropbox sync folder:
2020-01-23 00.08.14.mp4
and with a 10 sec video file it checks out the initial theory about final write time of the file and filename.

When uploading manually to Dropbox, filename stays as the original.

4. My OS

Thanks for looking into this !
2020-01-23 00.18.39.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking on that too @BoxyBeat!

In this case, I can only suggest to use manual uploading for videos if you'd like to keep the original filename I'm afraid.

Camera uploads is expected to upload and name the file based on the timestamp of when it was take.

While I can't provide you with a work around for this while using camera uploads, I'd suggest sharing your thoughts here if you'd like to maintain the file name itself rather than the timestamp.

Sorry that I couldn't be of further help with this, but please don't hesitate to get back to me here.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BoxyBeat
Helpful | Level 5

So this was an exercise in futility.
Why did you made me twirl around like a little princes ?
You got it pretty clear the first time, I thought we were getting somewhere.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way @BoxyBeat!

I wanted to ensure that what was occurring on your device is the same as what I was trying on my side as I wasn't aware of which device and OS you were using.

In my first post I explained that this would be the expected behaviour if you saw the same difference in the video details and why the renaming occurs. Apologies if I wasn't clear!

Just to note, I moved your request over to the "Share an idea" section so that it's in the right place for others to upvote it.

If there's anything else I can help with, just give me a nudge here.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    BoxyBeat Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?