Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Syncing is stuck after uploading a lot of data even though smart sync was applied, any help?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I have a Dropbox Business account (I am not an admin) and am trying to upload some files from a removable drive via an IMac.  The IMac (4Gb RAM, 250 Gb drive) recently had the drive reformatted and OS 10.11.6 installed by Apple. No other apps or extensions have been installed, including ICloud. 

Dropbox was installed and after logging into my shared Business account and setting Smart Sync on my local Dropbox folders to online only, I started uploading to my account approximately 400 GB of files from an external drive, which is more storage than the Mac has.  After a few days, I noticed that the Smart Sync option had disappeared from the local Dropbox folders and then I got a message that "file xxx cannot be copied because there isn't enough space".  I saw that the local drive had filled up with folders that were previously flagged to be "Online Only" and now had no Smart Sync option.  I reinstalled Dropbox and the same problem came back:  Smart Sync option was available initially but disappeared. The hard drive is still full.  The Dropbox Status continues to be "Indexing 191 files..." and never completes.

I assume that the problem is that this Mac is not working well with Smart Sync.  I have looked for answers here and found none.  How do I proceed?  My admin person does not have access to this IMac so I don't think it will be easy for him to discuss this with Dropbox. Thanks for your help.

1 Reply

Re: Smart Sync stops working on IMac

Dropboxer
Hey there @wauchopebruce,

When you’re uploading content to your Dropbox account by adding it to the Dropbox folder on your computer, the files will need to be local while they sync to your account. You’ll be able to apply smart sync to the file after they have been successfully synced with your Dropbox account.

Can you move back a small amount of data from the Dropbox folder to the external drive to free up enough space on your internal drive’s storage so that the app can finish syncing the data. Once you’ve moved a small amount of the data back, please let me know if you then see the sync status of the desktop app progressing.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Syncing is stuck after uploading a lot of data even though smart sync was applied, any help?
1 Reply
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post