Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Systray menu Cinnamon

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have a problem with the menu of Dropbox located in the systray of Cinnamon. When I try to clic over the icon of Dropbox I can't open the menu with a left click. If I use the right click I only get the menu of the systray as the image, but not of Dropbox.

I've searched thru the internet about this problem, but I haven't found other person having the same issue.

Any solution ?

P.S. I'm using an ArchLinux distribution with cinnamon.

23 Replies

Re: Systray menu Cinnamon

New member | Level 2

I forgot to attach the image.></p>

New member | Level 2

Anybody has this problem or know the solution?

New member | Level 1

Same problem.

Linux Mint, Cinnamon 2.8.6

New member | Level 2

For the time being, you can try going to "System Settings">"General", then turn OFF "support for indicators." Restart Cinnamon (right-click panel, select "Troubleshoot">"Restart Cinnamon"). You'll likely have to restart Dropbox for the status icon (rather than indicator) to appear (open a terminal and type "dropbox stop" [Enter], then "dropbox start" [Enter] -- no quotation marks).

(I'm explaining basic things for the benefit of beginning users that may not be familiar with things like restarting Cinnamon or using the terminal.)

I wonder if there was a Dropbox update in the background that resulted in a change to how it notified the System Tray. Running Nvidia drivers, I see that there's no longer an ugly black box around the Dropbox status icon, so I suspect that this status/indicator issue is Dropbox-borne... I hope it gets resolved; I like the Cinnamon theme-following of the indicators.

*Edit 20160211-18:43-- right after posting, I again turned ON support for indicators, restarted Cinnamon, and I was greeted with a working Dropbox System Tray icon. It's not themed like an indicator, so I suspect a problem is still there. Toggling indicator support may be an effective (albeit tedious) workaround for now.

New member | Level 2

Thanks Distance, it worked, however, I had by default disabled the indicators. So when I applied the solution it didn't work for me, until I activated and deactivated again the indicators.

New member | Level 2

Adrián, if it happens that you're needing to do some tedious routine after every login, you might try the following:

1. Do the 'indicator' toggle, stop/start routine to get the clickable panel icon back. (After you get the clickable icon, leave the 'indicator' toggle OFF.)

2. Access the Dropbox preferences from the panel icon:

></p>
<p> </p>
<p>3. Un-check the

4. Create your own Dropbox startup entry (Linux Mint has a GUI for this; I don't know if it's integrated into Cinnamon):

>I found I had to <em>type</em> my own entry. When I selected Dropbox from the handy application list, it seemed that the box we un-checked earlier would automatically clear such an entry on the next login.</p>
<p>After these steps, you should be consistently getting your clickable status icon back, through multiple logins. As for the timing, fifteen seconds seemed adequate; you may find a lower number (even zero?) still works. The key to all this may simply be creating your own, typed startup entry.</p>
<p>Cheers.</p>

New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue on Arch, Cinnamon 2.8.6, Dropbox 3.14.5 (both .\dropbox-dist autoupdated version and manually installed AUR version). Started earlier this month, so quite likely caused by 3.14.5.

I've tested adding startup delay, doesn't work. I've tried various method in Arch forum & Cinnamon's git issues, adding delay, reset panel to default, all doesn't resolve this issue.

If I run "sudo dropbox" it will prompt to sign up, but the tray icon is clickable with the correct context menu. Not sure if it's caused by permission or local user's preference.

And thanks to "Distance", his solution works. I toggled support for indicators, then restarted cinnamon. Though the icon initially was gone, I need to kill dropbox and start again to get it working.

New member | Level 2

The solution of Distance still works and I haven't done anything since the last day. (Yes it turned off my computer last time, so it still works the solution)

New member | Level 1

I can confirm this issue is happening on Mint as well. However, enabling and disabling the indicators (with proper Cinnamon restart) didn't do anything for me. Following a logical conclusion of Distance's manual startup command, I started Dropbox myself from the command line. Left-click now works. Go figure.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Systray menu Cinnamon
23 Replies
29 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post