Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

The macOS Client Now Opens Files in a Program Instead of Finder

Explorer | Level 4

I've had dropbox for some years now, but I am ready to cancel because of the last update made double clicking on recent files open the file in its associated program instead of showing the file in the finder. Yes, you can right click to 'View in Finder', but this is a huge waste of time as I inevitably misclick.

Can I downgrade to a prior UI?

Can I somehow make the setting behave as it did before?

As it stands now, dropbox doesn't do anything icloud doesn't for me. I am subscribed to dropbox because search actually works and the recent files menu. If this is taken away, I'm ready to cancel.

24 Replies

Re: The macOS Client Now Opens Files in a Program Instead of Finder

Dropboxer
Hey there @NadiaK,

I’d like to just ask you for a little more info on this issue. For example, do you see this happen with all file types or only specific ones? Also, is the behaviour the same for online only and local files?

Finally, can you let me know in your desktop app preferences if you have chosen to “Open folders in:” with Dropbox or with the Finder?

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

There's no option to "“Open folders in:” with Dropbox or with the Finder?".  I was expecting such an option. 

This is version 74.4.115. The behavior is the same regardless of where it is stored.

Dropboxer
Hey @NadiaK,

Apologies for not clarifying that fully, the option is within the desktop app preferences so you will need to:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose Preferences…
  4. Go to the General tab to see the option.

If you change the option here for “Open folders in:” to open in the Finder, do you see a difference in the behaviour when double clicking files in the Recents section? Do you see the same happen for all file types or only certain ones?

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

There is no such option. 

Dropboxer
Okay I see, it appears I mistakenly assumed you had the new desktop interface installed also @NadiaK. Apologies for any confusion there!

Would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile so we can do a little further investigation through our Support channel? 

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 4

That's fine. It is very annoying. I'm wasting time dozens of times per day with this bad UX. I have to click to open, click on the exact file, and then right click to open a contextual menu instead of just clicking on the file and finding it in finder. I'm using a stylus as my primary input so it really adds to the stress level as well.

I am cancelling unless I can get back my old workflow, it is as simple as that. I don't use icloud because it is annoying, but if it is exactly the same level of annoyance, then I don't need dropbox.

Dropboxer
@NadiaK, I’ve reached out to your email address, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience and let me know in reply to the email that you received this.

Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

I am not a fan of this new interface either, it now takes 3 clicks to show the file in the Finder, and double clicking opens the file in the specific app. I also have no options to Open Files in Finder like we could beforehand, how do we get that feature back? Thanks

Dropboxer
Hey there @CulpFiction,

Thanks for your feedback on this matter, I’ve passed this along to our dev team for review.

If you’d like to open the file from your Recents tab from the menu bar Dropbox icon, then you can either:

• Command click the file and choose “View in Finder”.
  • Underneath the file name, click the folder name shown which will open the folder in your Finder window.

Currently there isn’t a specific setting that can be changed to enable you to open the file in the Finder window by double clicking.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Thanks!

Daphne

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

The macOS Client Now Opens Files in a Program Instead of Finder
24 Replies
4 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post