Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: The macOS Client Now Opens Files in a Program Instead of Finder

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply. Not seeing any folder name under file, just file name under Recent. I feel its a pretty big UI option that has been there like forever and now its just gone with no other options to make it work for the user. Frustrating.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Is the file you’re looking at perhaps within the top level of your Dropbox folder? In this case you wouldn’t see a folder name underneath. 

I understand your frustrations and how changes like this can affect your daily workflow. Please rest assured that I’ve made the dev team aware of this request and will keep them updated with any further comments also made here.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Double click files to reveal in finder - not app

New member | Level 2

macOS Mojave 10.14.5

When I use the drop down menu via the dropbox app to see all the recent files I want to double click a file, and it reveal in finder. It currently opens in the appropriate app (usually photoshop for all .jpegs) I can right click and reveal in finder but just wanting the double click to work. Folders currently DO reveal in finder when double clicked. 

I am semi confident that a double click to a recently changed file on previuous versious of dropbox would reveal in finder but not anymore. 

Any help? 

Re: Double click files to reveal in finder - not app

Dropboxer

Hey there @blakemc,

Just as a side note, I've merged your post here as it relates to the same question you have.

Currently, the expected behaviour when you double click a file from the "Recents" tab is for the file to open within the appropriate app for the file type. As I mentioned previously, and as you've found too, you will need to either:

1. Right click the file and choose to "View in Finder".
  2. Or, click the folder name which appears under the file name. The folder name will appear blue when you hover your cursor over it and the appropriate file will be highlighted in the Finder window when the folder opens.

I understand that you would like to change this back to the previous behaviour, however there isn't currently an option/setting to apply to do this. I've made sure to pass along your comments and feedback on this to our dev team for review.

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

What is the expected behavior when double-clicking on a file from the system tray menu?

New member | Level 2

I often use the system tray icon to open my recently edited files. In all previous versions of dropbox, I'd click once on the icon to show my recent activity, then click on the file to open the folder it is in.

With the most recent update (Win7), the behavior is erratic. Sometimes single click opens the folder the file is in. Sometimes single click opens the file itself. Sometimes I have to double-click, and I don't know which result I'm going to get. Often when it does decide to open the file, it ignores the capitalization in the file name so when I finish editing and save, the file name looks unprofessional.

Is there any way to control or determine what behavior will occur?

Re: What is the expected behavior when double-clicking on a file from the system tray menu?

Dropboxer

Hey there @mmcelrath,

Please take a look at my previous response here, which explains the recent changes in the expected behaviour and how you can open files in the "Recents" tab within the File Explorer window.

In terms of what you mentioned about file names, can you let me know if you also get the same issue when opening the file directly from your File explorer window?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

I have just come across this thread as I had similar issues, and until the last few days had been clicking on the folder name (as suggested above). Although I'd preferred the click, this seemed to be a compromise for me. However, now that does nothing at all, so I am forced to click through to the view in finder menu. Its a real pain, as dropbox had been elegant, and I've used on multiple platforms for some years, but now, like others, I'm considering alternatives, particularly as I only really want the file management and not the new bells and whistles that have been used to justify the price increases. 

Helpful | Level 5

Folder under each file eventually showed on my Mac, and has be working for the most part until about a week ago. Now clicking on the folder name is broken, and does nothing. This happens on multiple machines I am connected too.

New member | Level 2

That's exactly my problem, its not working at all for the last week or so.

Helpful | Level 5
Has been hit or miss since July, frustrating.
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

The macOS Client Now Opens Files in a Program Instead of Finder
24 Replies
4 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey