cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Thousand of Conflicted files and perpetual syncing.

Helpful | Level 7

So I recently migrated to a new hard drive but in the process had a number of failures of my original drive and had to restart several times. I think this has caused problems to dropbox which was installed on that drive..

Dropbox has spent 2 days syncing. I wasn't aware of what it was doing until this morning when we were about to send files to a client and found its full of conflicted files with my name on them.

So after pausing syncing  I used the Conflicted-Copy-Resolver app and found 3500+ files which it proceeded to resolve.   Trying the app a second time confirmed there were no more conflicts. But checking dropbox showed all the conflicted files were still there.

So I moved them to another folder and continued the sync, assuming it would carry on adding more conflicted files. Instead it re-add the ones I'd removed before continuing to add more.

For many of these I know they're old and I could probably delete them.

But its now copying files I worked on last night and saying they're conflicted .. with the original (incorrect) versions being the unconflicted state. That is bad.

So I've paused it again and am starting to worry. I was thinking of logging off and reinstalling the app, but if files I worked on last night have not been synced and are registering as conflicted then I'm not sure what to do.

Dropbox 88.4.172

Thanks for any help.

17 Replies

Re: Thousand of Conflicted files and perpetual syncing.

Explorer | Level 4

i got Conflicted files like you too :( 

Helpful | Level 7

Same problem here on Windows 10.

Helpful | Level 7

So an update. 

On going to dropbox.com, clicking my icon in the top right, selecting preferences and looking in the account settings .. there was a fix permissions button flashing wildly ... so liking to live dangerously and with the dropbox team not working weekends .. I pressed it.

A dos box opened. Nothing much happened. And then it said my permissions had been fixed. 

Not trusting it I've spent the day copying files off dropbox to an unrelated drive, deleting conflicted files and generally trying to make sure that if anything went wrong I had a degree of backup.

I now have a handful of conflicted files that I'm ok with for now. I unpaused syncing, it dealt with some folders I knew I'd deleted .. and now its just hung again. Syncing 8,661 files, uploading 4244, downloading 4437 .. and its been saying that for the last 3 hours.

Helpful | Level 7

And due to this lack of syncing .. I can't upload anything to dropbox ..

Helpful | Level 7

So I've been going through my event logs and apart from two odd events on the 7th Jan nothing bad started happening until the 17th. 

On the 6th my computer was offline for routine maintenance. There were some issues with my hard drive migration failing initially but unless I was unlucky enough that it just happened to affect dropbox files and nothing else, I wouldn't expect it to cause an issue.  ( until I read this.  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Dropbox-deleted-all-my-files/td-p/263257 )

On the 7th someone added 8000+ files to a shared folder. Shortly after, dropbox claimed there were 115 conflicted files and copied these to that shared folder.

I wasn't aware of the above until the 13th when I recieved a complaint about the duplicated conflicted files. From this I realised there was some high network traffic and access to some web based tools was slower than it should be. I was busy and assumed it was just one of those things.

After that I appear to of used dropbox without incident until the 17th when again I become aware of increased network activity, slowdowns when I'm trying to access net based tools and realise there's continuous syncing happening. I notice the reporting of more conflicted files and it starts deleting and adding stuff of its own accord. This was when I realised something was really wrong.

On the 18th, after going into panic mode and getting no official help here, I told it to fix Permissions, since it was flashing the button wildly at me. It said it had done so .. proceeded to delete files I'd just told it to delete ( I moved all the conflicted files to another folder which I then moved to a separate drive for future reference) and then .. it stopped.

Since Saturday night it's been syncing 8,665 files, uploading 4228, downloading 4437. I've read somewhere that this could be a sign its re-indexing. I'm not sure how long I should wait, because right now I need dropbox for work and I can't use it.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

(edited as dates became apparent)

Helpful | Level 7

Interesting. Does anyone know what happened to my other post here detailing the dates of events? Took me a long time to compile that and now its gone. Was it moved?

Seems I'm not alone in having this issue with 88.4.172 starting  the end of last week.

Anyway I've since tried fixing hardlinks and fixing permissions again. There's still no movement and the syncing still appears to be stuck. I've paused and unpaused an dits doing nothing. I'm hoping its re-indexing so I'm loath to turn it off.

Dropboxer

Hey everyone, I hope you're all well today!

I'm happy to say @PatWard that I was able to locate your post, which had gotten caught up in our spam filter by mistake. It was probably due to the length of the post.

In this case, leaving the app to finish syncing before looking into the conflicted copies would be the best method, to prevent you from having to remove them multiple times.

After fixing permissions/hard links, you'll need to allow a short amount of time for the app to apply the changes before sync can progress. The more files you have, the longer this might take.

Can you let me know if you've had any progress @PatWard?

If you're also seeing the syncing appearing to be stuck without progress, can you try these steps to see if that helps @tranquynhon and @s4ndman?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

Hi @Daphne . I tried but no sucess.

Helpful | Level 7

Thanks Daphne,

So my mail was too long .. yes I've been told that before .. I've a habit of writing to help me understand something .. didn't really help in this case.

As you'll see in that missing message Fixing Permissions is what seemed to stop the problems with Conflicted Files. I don't know what effect Fixing Hardlinks had other than it telling me it was successful and turned them into copies  (what exactly does that mean? Copies of what and where?). 

I've done both processes twice already and ..  now ..  a third time and syncing tells me the same as it has done since Saturday. Theres been no new Event logged since the 18th.

Sync .jpg

So after waiting since Saturday .. how much longer should I wait?

And uploading 4,231 files is worrying as I've not changed that many files in the last few weeks. I hope it doesn't overwrite other peoples files.

Thanks.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Thousand of Conflicted files and perpetual syncing.
17 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post