cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

mcfinney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox menu bar app has stopped showing the time left in the current sync in the bottom of the window. It shows a seemingly irrelevant progress bar but even hovering over that does not tell me the time left to sync, which I have depended on to let clients know when files will be there. Hovering over only gives me the option to pause syncing. Was this feature removed or is this a bug in the latest update?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

223 Replies 223

21timothy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have to say that I agree with you.  I have never seen Dropbox acknowledge issues impacting users.  This particular illogical change without explanation is perplexing.  For those of us who pay for this service and use it for business, I find that unnerving.  Dropbox needs some solid competition to compel better customer service. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear you feel this way @21timothy.

This feature was actually re-enabled after we heard your feedback in this very same thread so could you please elaborate a tad on the matter that's troubling you?

On a side note, do you happen to be using a beta version of the desktop app?

I'm only asking because I just checked our latest stable version of the desktop app and the estimated time remaining to sync my changes was there when I hovered my mouse over the Dropbox icon within my computer's system tray.

If you're not seeing this, could you forward me a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status so I can have a visual too?

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Robin Mary G.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have what seems to be a stable current version, and cannot see the time estimate to sync.  Did it move?Screenshot (3).png

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This feature was removed back in March 2019 and generated many pages of protests. Dropbox reinstated it (thank goodness); I was early in the threads complaining. 

You'll never see it on the face of the app; it shows up if you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray if you're uploading something. 

It's an educated guess on Dropbox's part. There's no way to 100% predict future network speeds etc. (even over the next hour or so), but it was always a good guideline to be able to let a client know when they might start to expect a file to be finished uploading. We missed it; we complained; it was re-instated.

Jay

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity and to avoid any possible confusion as this feature was re-instated in March of 2019. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ElJayBronxNY Helpful | Level 6
    Robin Mary G. New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    21timothy Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?