Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Unable to edit Microsoft Office files stored in Dropbox after Mac crash.

Explorer | Level 3

My Macbook took a dump and my Dropbox was linked to it.  I got a new MS windows laptop and downloaded DB on it, but I am only able to read, share. delete files.....not able to edit any files.  Well, actually microsoft links me to ms word to edit but it is ridiciously slow and I want to edit from the toolbar icon as I always have before.

What do I need to do?.....I'm about to pull my hair out!!!!

9 Replies

Re: Windows Explorer crash after install dropbox

Super User II
Are you sure you've installed the Dropbox client from www.dropbox.com/downloading rather than the app store which acts more like a mobile version?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3
To be honest I’ve uninstalled and redownloaed so many times I’m sure I probably have. I do know that At least once I scanned the “connect” to dropbox logo from my phone. But I am trying the link you sent....do i need to uninstall the one already on laptop now?

Super User II
Its probably best off removing it completely and starting a total fresh if I'm honest

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3
Well the nest I can get is edit with Microsoft explorer and word. Definitely a pain compared to the simplicity on my MacBook. Takes roughly 3-4 times longer to open, edit, close, and save as it did on my Mac. I guess theres a reason apple has the largest market share of the laptop marketplace, even tho they are by far the most expensive. You get what you pay for.

Super User II
What you're describing isn't normal. It takes me just a few seconds to open a file, make a change and save it, and it's instantly saved back to Dropbox.

What is the exact process that you're using?

Explorer | Level 3
Well thats how it used to be on my MacBook. But when it crashed I was not able to unlink DB from laptop. I have DB on other devices (phone, 2 different ipads) but I they olny view and dont edit. The master account was on the mac.
So long story short needed a laptop in a pinch because its a necessity for work and I got a used hp with windows from a girlfriend . Mistake #1. I spent hours just trying to get the accounts to be editable and now that they are everytime i click on the account Im trying to edit it opens word and takes way longer than the few seconds i used to take do it before.
Ive seen other people complain online about windows and DB so I know it happens, but I think there has to be a way around it.

Super User II
Dropbox has nothing to do with the opening of a file. The Dropbox folder is a folder like any other. It's nothing special, and opening a file in the Dropbox folder is exactly the same as opening it elsewhere.

If you're double-clicking a file in the Dropbox folder and it's taking a long time to open, it's nothing to do with Dropbox. It's either your operating system or the application that's opening the file.

You still need to explain the steps, exactly, that you're taking before we'll know what you're doing. You stated that you spent hours to get your account editable, but that doesn't make any sense. Neither does clicking on an account to edit it. Please explain what you're doing, exactly, and we may be able to help you.

Explorer | Level 3
Yep all fixed. just pitched the hp laptop in the trash and bought a new iMac desktop. All better now. I feel so sorry for windows users.

And to Rich....is what I wrote really that hard to decipher? Are u not aware that in Windows the dropbox edit is done with microsoft word and microsoft explorer? Have you even used dropbox on a Mac? Well if you had you would understand my post I think. Anyways thanks to those who tried helping....I just think it is a failure of Microsoft that couldn’t be helped.

Super User II

HELPPLEASE88 wrote:
And to Rich....is what I wrote really that hard to decipher?

Yes.

I spent hours just trying to get the accounts to be editable - Accounts don't get edited.

everytime i click on the account Im trying to edit it opens word - Click on a file, maybe? Word opens document files. Not your Dropbox account.

Are u not aware that in Windows the dropbox edit is done with microsoft word and microsoft explorer?

Neither Dropbox nor Explorer edit files. Dropbox syncronizes your files, and Explorer is a file manager much like Finder is on a Mac. To view and edit a file on your computer you need to have an appropriate application installed that can open the file. For most document formats, Microsoft Word, if installed, would be the default application for those files, and double-clicking on a file would open it in the registered application for that file's type.

Have you even used dropbox on a Mac? Well if you had you would understand my post I think.

Yes, I have, and no, I still didn't.

I just think it is a failure of Microsoft that couldn’t be helped.

Nothing of the process that you described is normal. I can double-click a document file in my Dropbox and it's open in Word within two seconds. If I didn't have word, it would open in whatever application I did have installed for that file type. I can then edit the file as needed and save it back to Dropbox at the click of a button. All of this takes place nearly instantly, and this is on a severely over-worked four year old computer. I don't think what you're seeing is a failure of Microsoft. Perhaps user error (no offense intended, but you're new to Windows), or there's something wrong with the installations on your computer. You should be able to just double-click a file to open it with the appropriate application for that file type if installed.

I guess theres a reason apple has the largest market share of the laptop marketplace

They don't.

161116_trendforce_notebooks.png

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unable to edit Microsoft Office files stored in Dropbox after Mac crash.
9 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post