Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Usability issues with the new version of the Windows App

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

Dropbox recently updated the interface on Windows and while the update looks nicer on the surface, the software is much less usable.  There are two major issues.....

TEAM ACTIVITY/MY ACTIVITY

The Problem
The first problem is with the new split views.  Previously one could see a list of all files that were recently added/changed in a single view.  The new update breaks this history into two distinct views that creates a nightmare for quickly seeing what's been happening recently.  I now have to manually go back and forth between the two views to piece together a history of the recent activity on the file.  Yes, I could use Version History, but now I'm taking the extra step using the web browser to see a full history (with options to revert) when all I want is a quick recent history.  This is a pretty serious breakdown in workflow.

How to fix this
There are two simple ways to fix this issue: 1) Add a third view for "All Activity" (in addition to the My Activity and Team Activity views) that shows all file changes like Dropbox used to show prior to the latest update. 2) Show my activity as a part of the Team Activity view - after all, I am a part of the team of people accessing the files.

DEFAULT ACTIONS/SHORTCUTS

The Problem
The second issue is the new default action for double-clicking on a file is to open the file. Previously it was to open the folder. Files I use are seldom worked on in isolation. I may need open several related files at the same time, and the extra step of having to click the 3 dots (or right clicking) and then navigating the context menu, just to open the folder has gotten tedious pretty quickly.

How to fix this
There are three simple fixes to this issue: 1) Allow users to set a default action for double-clicking. 2) Add a folder shortcut icon next to the favorite, share, and link icons. 3) Let uses to choose which shortcut icons to show (I would replace the link icon, as I don't believe I've EVER used that Dropbox feature until just now, while preparing this message).

23 Replies

Re: Usability issues with the new version of the Windows App

Dropboxer
Hey there @kldb,

Firstly, I’d like to thank you for your extensive and detailed feedback of the new Dropbox desktop app, I’ve passed along your comments to our dev team for review in future improvements!

I’d just like to note that I’ve moved your post to the “Share an idea” section of our Community so that we can track this feedback more effectively. Other users can also upvote your idea and even input their own suggestions to build on what you’ve mentioned here.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and I hope you have a wonderful day ahead - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Re: Here's my feedback about the new desktop app interface and what can be improved, what do you thi

Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne 

Perhaps you could suggest allowing users in Preferences to CHANGE THINGS BACK to as they were before Dropbox dropped another unwanted change on us.

If Dropbox continues with forced updates then it's the very least the 'team' can do.

Re: Here's my feedback about the new desktop app interface and what can be improved, what do you thi

Helpful | Level 6
I don't appreciate you changing the title or location of my post. This forum is not included in the list of forums for people to view, and once it's bumped of the main page's list of recent posts, it'll be very difficult for people to find when they too have problems with the new user interface. The original title "Usability issues with the new version of the Windows App" was accurate. Your change to the current title misstates the whole purpose of my post. Finally, the new interface has another problem, which is why I came back here to post, and how I discovered the essential "burying" of my original post. When a large file is syncing, the three dot menu for ALL OTHER FILES is disabled, except for open. I can't view version history, can't star, can't share, can't open link.... Most importantly (for me) I can't "View in File Explorer".... I'm beginning to understand other's frustrations with the changes being made to Dropbox.

Dropboxer
Hey @kldb,

I understand your frustration here, so as per your request I’ve moved your post back to its original location so that we can also do a little further investigation.

In terms of the issue you mentioned with syncing preventing performing other actions, can you clarify for me if you don’t see the other options at all from the “…” menu or you are simply unable to choose the options? Perhaps you can share a screenshot of this.

Also, can you let me know if you are not seeing the option for “View in File Explorer” when selecting a file in the interface and clicking the “…”, or if clicking the option isn’t opening the file as expected?

Looking forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for moving it back.  I can see the options, but they are grayed out (I'm not able to select them.)

I noticed that after my large file synced, I had run out of space on Dropbox and the options were still grayed out, so it may be that the 3 dot options are disabled due to a full account, and not due to syncing a large file.

Either way, the disabled menu options don't make sense and appear to be a bug.

Now that this thread is back in a this forum, I can post screenshots.  (Couldn't do that after you moved it last time.)  I'll try to post a screenshot if it happens again.

Dropboxer
Hey @kldb,

Not a problem, my apologies for any confusion and inconvenience the move caused!

Thanks for getting back with this additional info here, I’m sure it will be helpful for other users with the same issue. If you do see this behaviour again, any additional info you will be able to provide would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I hope you have a great weekend - Cheers!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the grayed out options problem again that I mentioned earlier.  This time I can post screenshots.....

Here you can see only Open and Open with are available:

db-open-with.jpg

Here you can see I have plenty of space:

db-space.jpg

Here you can see there are no sync issues:

db-no-errors.jpg

And here you can (sort of see) the Up to Date hover:

db-up-to-date-hover.jpg

Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

My thoughts exactly on the default action for recent files - I have zero interest in opening a file from this menu, I want access to the file's location on disk... there's a good chance it's open already, if it was recently changed.

If you're going to make arbitrary changes to 'improve' the user experience, as you percieve it, then at least  let long time users maintain their existing workflows, via a preference. I don't want to be right clicking every time I want to reveal a file.

The app's developing a bad case of featureitis recently. You keep adding features we don't need, and upping storage limits we already weren't hitting, to justify upping the price, when I'm sure you have stats that indicate a vast majority of users are nowhere near the 1TB limit - so the marginal cost to Dropbox of the 'added value' is approximately zero. 

New member | Level 2

Also, having the app default to My Activity sort of defeats the purpose of a team based program? I'll look at it, take a second to realize I'm not seeing the full list of changes, then click Team Activity. Is there an option to change the default?

Honestly prefer the previous format, it was much more sleek and functional.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Usability issues with the new version of the Windows App
23 Replies
12 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post