Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

User folder in dropbox/cloud

Level 2

Is there any known issue or has anyone tried putting their user folder in dropbox or other cloud service? I have two workstations, one for the home office and one for the field. I'd like to put all of my plugins and such in 1 dropbox folder that could then be accessed by either computer, keeping them up to date.

From my understanding of dropbox, the file is kept on your computer once synced, so once updated I wouldn't see poor connectivity issues being a problem. I may be wrong.

1 Reply

Re: User folder in dropbox/cloud

Dropboxer
Hey there @LemmyRose,

Currently it’s not possible to sync your User folder to your Dropbox account and it’s also highly recommended not to. Moving a system file/folder on your device could result in many different unexpected behaviours and worst case scenario, file deletion and data loss.

In terms of syncing your plugins across your devices, you could sync the installation files in your Dropbox folder so that you could install them on your other device. For the plugins to work they need to be installed on the machine correctly so simply copying the plugin data wouldn’t enable them to work.

I would highly recommend just moving/copying the files that you want to access on both devices to your Dropbox folder, and ensuring that you have the software and plugins installed on both to allow opening and editing of the files. Dropbox isn’t designed to sync software over devices, but as I mentioned, you could sync the installation file so you can install it on your second device.

Finally, you’re correct in that when you move files into your Dropbox folder they remain on your device. Making edits to the files within the Dropbox folder will sync the changes to other connected devices, however you do need to have an internet connection for the changes to sync to your account. You will know the changes are synced when the sync status shows as “Up to date”.  

If you have any other questions, let me know here - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

User folder in dropbox/cloud
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post