cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

WIndows 10 with multiple local users, one (paid) Dropbox account

Helpful | Level 6

I have a new computer with Windows 10.  I am the administrator (local, not set up as a microsoft account).  I have added my kids as users, (not administrator, also local)

We have one Dropbox account.  I have a folder in Dropbox and each kid has a folder.  We also have a folder for pictures and music (and a few others), which all of us use. The computer has two hard drives-a smaller one where Windows is loaded (C: ), and a larger one for data. (D: ). Dropbox is loaded on/syncs to the D: drive.

I want to set up my computer so that each of us can access our own folders (but not anyone elses) and the pictures and music folders when logged in to our respective accounts.

Right now it's set up as, (but not working right)-
-Went into each user account, set up Dropbox in each with my Dropbox login. In each user account, I set up the account to selectively sync folders each person should have access to and they are synced locally because our internet connection is troublesome.  I am using selective sync in part because I have another large file with some videos that I don't want synced anywhere-it's fine just on dropbox, as well as some folders shared with outside users that I don't want synced. However, when I go into my kids' user accounts in Windows, their files show and show as being synced but I can't open them-it gives an error message that says "Failed to Download".  (and the error isn't because the file hasn't finished syncing yet-I tried on several small files of different types and manually synced them first).

-I also tried, (but it didn't work either)
All dropbox folders (except for the videos et al folder) are synched under my user account. No dropbox set up under their account.  In that scenario, all their files loaded and could be opened from their account but then didn't sync.

I know one option is to purchase separate paid accounts for my kids but Dropbox still doesn't have a family plan unfortantely and I can't really afford the cost for paid accounts for each kid.  The pictures and music and a few other folders we all use are too big for them to access with a free account.

Any suggestions for how to make this work? I saw some stuff on this from a couple of years ago but couldn't understand the recommendations unfortunately.

Thanks.

2 Replies

Re: WIndows 10 with multiple local users, one (paid) Dropbox account

Dropboxer

Hi @lw17 - welcome to the Dropbox Family!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the exact error you get when accessing those files from your kids' user accounts so I can have a better view of the matter at hand?

While at it, note that if you need access to two different Dropboxes on the same computer the best option is to create a second user account within your operating system for the second (third, fourth etc.) Dropbox account. However, you would need to log out of one user account and log in to the other account to switch Dropbox accounts. This may or may not be convenient for your needs.

Alternatively, you could link one Dropbox account to your computer and access any others via the web interface only.

In any case, I'll be waiting for your response to help look into this!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: WIndows 10 with multiple local users, one (paid) Dropbox account

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your response! I ended up uninstalling Dropbox from my computer and reinstalling it, and it seems to be working now.  I have a new problem now, but will start a new thread.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

WIndows 10 with multiple local users, one (paid) Dropbox account
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post