cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a number of folders set as "Make available offline" on my iPad. Generally this works fine, but sometimes I get the yellow exclamation mark icon and "Refresh to update".  Can someone please tell me what "Refresh to update" means - there is no refresh button and no refresh option in the menu. What am I supposed to do??? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

virusthecyrus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just find out that for dropbox version 142.2, you can refresh by going to Account --> Manage Offline Files --> on the top right hand coner, there is a refresh logo.

View solution in original post

61 Replies 61

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @JuanHerrero

Initially, I wanted to mention what the different icons mean when you make a folder or file offline:
  • Green icon: Your offline files are up to date.
  • Blue syncing icon: Your files are currently downloading to your device.
  • Yellow exclamation point icon: There is a newer version of your folder available. 
In general, when you’ve ensure that you’re connected through a data or WiFi network, the files should automatically update for you. 

If this doesn’t occur or you’re not seeing any relevant option, could you please attach a screenshot (without any personal info) in your next reply?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My question is... When it says "Refresh to update", what am I supposed to do?  How do I refresh?  Everything is connected OK (I used Dropbox to transfer the attached pic from iPad to PC).

upload_5240365212796163332.jpg

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If I kill the app, and then reload it, the yellow icons become blue for a few seconds and display the message "Determining which...", and then go yellow again.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply and the screenshot, @JuanHerrero. Initially, please note that I removed personal info included in your attached image for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your query though, I was also going to propose to try closing the mobile app (by double-tapping the home button) and relaunching it again. 

:thinking: Hmm, have you tried connecting to a different WiFi network or through cellular data by any chance? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am on my home wifi network, which works fine.  I tried connecting via my iPhone hotspot, and exactly the same thing happened - a few seconds of blue, then back to yellow.  What I do not understand is...  the app clearly says "Refresh to update", so clearly I am supposed to do something. The verb is "refresh". How do I do it? What am I supposed to do? How do I "refresh"?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this, @JuanHerrero

In order to dig a bit deeper, I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Chris45
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Can you post how you solved this? Mine does this as well. 

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox said "We're aware of this bug and working to fix it."

joliver332
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's 2019, and dropbox still can't do the one thing it is suppose to do - sync your file.  Come on guys this is an unacceptable situation.  Most of my offline files say "refresh to update".  Finding the nearly hidden refresh button does nothing!!! Please.

Need more support?