cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a number of folders set as "Make available offline" on my iPad. Generally this works fine, but sometimes I get the yellow exclamation mark icon and "Refresh to update".  Can someone please tell me what "Refresh to update" means - there is no refresh button and no refresh option in the menu. What am I supposed to do??? 

61 Replies 61

joliver332
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Update - I found that the folders that were not updating had sub folders.  If you open each sub folder under the main folder (the one that says "refresh to update")... that clears the refresh to update Yellow Exclaimation...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @joliver332, thanks for letting us know what worked for you! Awesome work on the troubleshooting. :grinning:

If the behavior persists, or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to give us another nudge and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chris45
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, Lusil and joliver332. I did also notice this, however it can be cumbersome to open up every embedded folder to force teh update. It would be better if the dropbox app could have a forced synchronization button etc.

Chris

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Agreed. At the very least, change the message to say "Open folder to update", and lose the utterly confusing word "Refresh" (when there is no way of doing it).

virusthecyrus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just find out that for dropbox version 142.2, you can refresh by going to Account --> Manage Offline Files --> on the top right hand coner, there is a refresh logo.

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow!!  Think of the kudos they would have gained if they had told us!!  But I'd like to know what it actually does... I wouldn't want it to re-download my entire file collection!

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just clicked it, and so far as I can see it is doing just what it should!!  Many thanks for spotting that.

virusthecyrus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
You are welcome😊 i guess there are more people having this issue too so hope they find this post.

Yipyah
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nailed it! Thank you!!!  Also, for me, I had cellular data disabled. 

Marcia S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same exact problem.  Just spent 20 minutes on chat with DropBox - zero answers.  This is ridiculous.  Cannot see the one freaking folder I need --- NOWHERE is there a refresh button....  But there is direction to "refresh to update."  Insane.

Need more support?