cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

acoolaccounts
Explorer | Level 4

The same thing happens in my company since Tuesday. We have an Office 365 license and it doesn't let us edit. If the files open on the computer, they open normally, but only one of the administrators can edit in Excel Online, having the same license as the rest. How can I solve it?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @acoolaccounts

Welcome to Community.

Sorry to hear some members cannot edit using Office 365, while they do have licenses. Allow me to ask, are the members getting an error when trying to edit? If this is the case, please add it with your next response. 

If there is no error there, could we have a screenshot of the "Open with" options the members facing the issue are getting ? 

Please show us their options both online and their desktops. 

Looking forward to your screenshots to assist. Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

acoolaccounts
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Fiona.

We have the options to open with Excel on the computer, it works very well, but when I save, it is only saved on the computer, not in Dropbox. Google Sheets doesn't work because the email doesn't match. And the Excel Online, it says that I don't have a license, I have tried to buy a license through the link that appears to solve it, but it tells me that I already have a license and I can't buy another one.

Dropbox 1.png

Dropbox 2.png

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

I see. Thanks for the additional information. 

Please contact Microsoft and let them know about this error message. Once the license problem is resolved you will be able to edit normally. Unfortunately I can not know what the problem is with the license. 

I would like to understand if we also have a syncing issue though, cause I can definitely troubleshoot that. :nerd:

You mentioned different emails. Are you accessing another account/email online, rather than the one that is linked on your desktop? 

Please note each Dropbox account, is assigned on a unique email address. So if you are using two, we have two accounts here.  :thinking: The license would work for only one of the two accounts. 

Thanks in advance for clarifying this. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

acoolaccounts
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, we have 8 accounts, everyone with Dropbox license and Office license. I'm acceding with the same account in Dropbox and Office, but isn't working.

I think it isn't a synchronization problem. It's just that some of my colleagues don't have Dropbox installed and they work through the web and if they modify the file after downloading it, they have to upload it, since it isn't updated directly as we would like.

I will contact Microsoft to try to solve it. Thank you

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Good job with finding the alternative to continue working! 

I am so sorry for the inconvenience this has clearly caused. :slight_frown: Hope the Microsoft error will be solved soon. 

If you could get back to us with any updates on the matter, it would be super helpful for all users to know how this was solved. 

If there is something more I can do on my end to help with your Dropbox, let me know. I will be more than happy to. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TommyAC

I replied to your email, can you check your email inbox when you have the time to see if you've received this?

Let me know if you didn't - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CreativeR
New member | Level 2

Same problem here!

"You don't have an Office license

Your Office 365 account does not have an Office license assigned to it"

Microsoft confirmed that my team does have the correct account to access Microsoft Excel Online.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CreativeR

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile to have a better look into this.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Fatradish
New member | Level 2

Hi ! did this get resolved for you ? we're experiencing same issue 

Need more support?