cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Microsoft Office Online not opening files

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Thank you for getting back to me about this @KF6

I just checked your case. I am unable to take over the email chain unfortunately. However I added one more note. Please download the file to access it for now and we will get back to you asap. 

I apologize for the invonvenience. Thank you so much for your patience. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Researcher12345!

Welcome to our Community and thanks for your question. 

When in a Dropbox Business account, you will need an enterprise Microsoft account with a license that allows editing in Office Online (Business, Business Essentials, Business Premium, ProPlus, E1, E3, E4, or E5). If you're using a tablet larger than 10", Microsoft requires that you have an O365 license to use Office applications. 

Here is a presentation of the integration with Microsoft and a help center article with FAQ's .

Let us know if everything works for you, when you try it. 

Thank you!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

KF6
New member | Level 2

Unfortunately, I don't have Microsoft Office on my computer, so I can't download the excel sheet and edit the document...

acoolaccounts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Fiona

The admin of the Dropbox account, bought a business license for 1 account and now my colleague can use Excel Online. The other accounts have a domestic license and it isn't the correct license to use Excel Online and we can't change it until the license expires.
Then, the rest we will work by downloading dropbox on the computer, when the license expires, we will change to a business license.

It's the only solution we have thought. Almost the cheapest one. The other is, buy the new licenses and lose the domestic license, but we renew the last month and would pay double this year.

Have a nice week.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Thank you for getting back to me about this @acoolaccounts. I am happy to know there is no technical difficulty for us two to work on :gear:. The alternative you mentioned is the one I would offer. Might not be ideal but it will work and I can't thank you enough for sharing this case on this thread. 

If there is anything else you need, we are always here for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for using Dropbox!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

JKRW
New member | Level 2

Our business has been using Dropbox for 5+ years. We all have Microsoft Office licenses for software downloaded onto our (50+ laptops). Do you mean to tell me that in order to continue using Dropbox we must now purchase 50+ MS365 licenses at $85/license annually, for as long as we want to use Dropbox?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @JKRW, thank you for your first comment to our Community! 

You could alternatively, edit locally and drop the files back into Dropbox after any edition to sync them. 

Please find the FAQs for this integration, here

I hope this helps.

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

PamEd
New member | Level 2

Lost my access to microsoft office 365 online while logged into my company account. I had access from last November 2019 until last Wednesday and this is the message i get:

Almost there...
To edit business documents you'll need a commercial Office 365 subscription

Did this ever to happen to any of you?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @PamEd. Welcome to our Community. :nerd:

I've moved your post under this thread as it echoes what is described here. Reading through the comments here might be helpful for you. Feel free to get back to us with any questions that might come up. 

Thanks!

:pushpin: "When in a Dropbox Business account, you will need an enterprise Microsoft account with a license that allows editing in Office Online (Business, Business Essentials, Business Premium, ProPlus, E1, E3, E4, or E5)"

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

jfriedel
Explorer | Level 3

Fiona,

One of my users is having this issue (can't access because it says he does not have a license), and we all have Office 365 Business Premium licenses. What would be the next check to make sure integration is working correctly?

Need more support?