cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

WD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I had a response from Prenium Support.

The problem is that there was no licence verification from Dropbox until now and the only licences that allow you to modify files online are Office 365 Business, Business Essentials, Business Premium, ProPlus, E1, E3, E4 or E5.

Since we have A1 education licences, we won't be able to use this function.

They sold us Dropbox and made us think that we would be able to and now I don't see what are the benefits from using Dropbox instead of OneDrive since we don't have to pay for OneDrive with Office 365...

kitt0y
Explorer | Level 4

@WD wrote:

Hi,

I had a response from Prenium Support.

The problem is that there was no licence verification from Dropbox until now and the only licences that allow you to modify files online are Office 365 Business, Business Essentials, Business Premium, ProPlus, E1, E3, E4 or E5.

Since we have A1 education licences, we won't be able to use this function.

They sold us Dropbox and made us think that we would be able to and now I don't see what are the benefits from using Dropbox instead of OneDrive since we don't have to pay for OneDrive with Office 365...

--------------------------------------------
So this is the fix? just like that?

Fatradish
New member | Level 2

Hi Fiona, we are experiencing the same issue , cannot edit via mricosoft online, our subscription is active , please help !

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Fatradish

Sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

I've sent you an email to the address associated with your Community profile so that we can further investigate this together. 

When you get the chance, please check your inbox - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

taz3
New member | Level 2

I am new DB user, I was invited to use my company's business DB account.  We all use a spreadsheet file to track inventories.  We all work from home on our PC's. Many of us have access & the ability to edit this spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will then save our edits. I was using it everyday just fine, but a few days ago I got a message when I tried opening the spreadsheet, the message stated I had to purchase Microsoft Office 360 to open the file and would not allow me to proceed. What changed? I tried deleting cache, rebooting, using a different browser to no avail.  The other associates on our team are NOT having this issue.  Up until now I would access the file and it would open via Excel without any issues.  Please help. I use this spreadsheet daily to perform my responsibilities.  Thanks.

KF6
New member | Level 2

Same issue as the previous message.  Other people on my team are not having an issue------ "I am new DB user, I was invited to use my company's business DB account.  We all use a spreadsheet file to track inventories.  We all work from home on our PC's. Many of us have access & the ability to edit this spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will then save our edits. I was using it everyday just fine, but a few days ago I got a message when I tried opening the spreadsheet, the message stated I had to purchase Microsoft Office 360 to open the file and would not allow me to proceed. What changed? I tried deleting cache, rebooting, using a different browser to no avail.  The other associates on our team are NOT having this issue.  Up until now I would access the file and it would open via Excel without any issues.  Please help. I use this spreadsheet daily to perform my responsibilities.  Thanks."

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, thanks for reaching out - I'd be more than happy to help. 

@taz3, I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile to look into this matter together. 

@KF6, I've replied to your support request, so when you have a chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kido
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have the same issue as the one described in a post that has the same name as mine, no solution is actually given and I need help.

I use a dropbox business account, I do have Office 365, and I have been using Microsoft Excel Online for months it was fine, but now all of a sudden it's also asking me to subscribe to Office 365 when I'm already. 

Can you help me please, thank you,

Kido

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Kido,

Could you just confirm for me if you currently have one of the licenses required by Microsoft to be able to use the integration with the Business subscription? You can find the list of licenses from this article here.

If you do have one of these licenses and are still having issues with using the integration, please let me know and we can look into this further.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

SBrooks
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, at 2:00 I got into my excel docs, at 2:15 it told me I needed a Corporate or Educational acct.  I did sign up for a trial but it still doesn't work.  Other exel docs work from dropbox just those in one of my shared accounts.  Very frustrating.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

smit New member | Level 2
    Iliana-DBX Dropbox Staff
    SD2000 New member | Level 2
    WD Helpful | Level 5
    skyburz New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?