cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Win 10 - Stop registering printscrn, stop launching on boot

New member | Level 2

I don't want Dropbox to register any screenshot hotkeys, I want to use a different program for that. In order to get my screenshot hotkeys to register correctly I want to stop Dropbox from launching at system startup and only launch Dropbox when I want to sync my files, which would be fine.

1. I don't see any area where I can tell the Dropbox app to stop registering the printscrn hotkeys (Specifically, Ctrl + Print Screen, Print Screen, and Alt + Print Screen) unchecking "Preferences - Screenshots - Share screenshots using dropbox" has no effect on the registration of the hotkeys.
  2. When I uncheck "Start Dropbox on system startup" in the general preferences it doesn't have any effect. Also, if I go into the Windows Startup Apps control panel and turn Dropbox to "Off" it has no effect; the app still launches when I login to my machine.

I have resorted to manually exiting Dropbox every time after I launch my system, which only serves to remind me of how annoying this issue is.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Win 10 - Stop registering printscrn, stop launching on boot

Dropboxer

Hi @zcoffin! Thanks for creating this topic. 

I understand that you are going through the right tabs of your desktop app preferences to disable Dropbox on Start up and your screenshots being saved and things are not responding. This can really be annoying. unamused face

Quick workaround for your start up issue:gear

Microsoft support article that can help you do this from your Operating system settings. If you are not on Windows 10 you can find one for your version of Windows there: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026268/windows-10-change-startup-apps

Before we take the steps to fix the screenshot issue, I need to ask a few questions. 

• What version of the desktop app is giving you this issue? I want to see if we need to update or reinstall.
  • What is your syncing status?

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I just re-installed the app today and it still isn't behaving. Syncing is working fine. The windows-10 startup apps control panel setting has no effect.

Edit: according to the dropbox preferences panel, version 88.4.172

New member | Level 2

After re-installing again the launching on system startup setting is working, but I still would appreciate it if Dropbox would stop hogging the print-screen hotkeys. If this was something I could control I would leave dropbox on auto-launch, but as-is I will keep it on manual launch. Thanks.

Dropboxer

Glad to know your screenshots are not automatically saving anymore. 

Thank you for updating your thread and for your feedback about the print-screen hotkeysWhite check mark smiling face with halo

Have a nice week!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Win 10 - Stop registering printscrn, stop launching on boot
4 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post