Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

Windows 10 File Explorer freezes on New Folder with Dropbox Shell Extensions

Helpful | Level 6

I have been having an issue with Windows File Explorer freezing for up to 3 minutes when creating a new folder. When I remove Dropbox shell extensions it is no longer a problem. But I would like to keep the Dropbox context menu in Windows file Explorer. What's causing this issue and how do I fix it?

2 Replies

Re: Windows 10 File Explorer freezes on New Folder with Dropbox Shell Extensions

Dropboxer
Hi Stephen,

I would say we will need to take a closer look at this so you are probably better off submitting a support ticket. Although I would recommend taking a look at the following article as this issue sounds like it could be related to the windows overlay icons issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/154

It is worth trying if you can move Dropbox up the list for the overlay icons and see if this impacts the freezing issue.

If it does not you can submit a ticket here:

www.dropbox.com/support

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

Re: Windows 10 File Explorer freezes on New Folder with Dropbox Shell Extensions

New member | Level 2

Solved the issue (for myself)  by doing the following : 

STEP 1 : Clear your dropbox.cache folder

Clear your cache on Windows

1. Open a new Windows Explorer window by clicking on the Start menu and then My Computer.
    2. Type or copy and paste the following code into the location bar at the top of the window and press return: %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache
    3. This will take you directly to the Dropbox cache folder in your Application Data folder.

Go to folder
  1. Delete the files in your cache by dragging them out of the Dropbox cache folder and into your Windows Recycle bin.

STEP 2 ( ONLY - if step 1 didn't solved the problem ) : 

1. Download a small freeware called : ShellExView can download it here and run it.
  2. Kill the explorer.exe ( in task manager of windows ) and re-run it by file -> run -> explorer.exe
  3. Go to ShellExView and disable ContextMenuHandlerClass of DropBox (see in the image below )
  4. Re-enable the ContextMenuHandlerClass of DropBox after deleting cache ( mentioned in Step 1 ).
  5. zxcxzczxcontentsMenuClass.jpg

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Windows 10 File Explorer freezes on New Folder with Dropbox Shell Extensions
2 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post